Kernal Screwing up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Anawrahta, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Anawrahta macrumors member

Hi, I've finally figured out that the kernal_task is messing up my computer. I was hoping that someone may have an idea on how to fix this issue.

The problem is this....after using my computer for a couple hours...anywhere from 10-36 hours without a shut down, and occaisonally using sleep, the kernal_task starts taking up like 50% of my CPU for no apparent reason. The computer feels slow...the mouse is choppy moving around..and the datarate of the internet over AP becomes ridiculously slow. Once I turn AP off and on again, it refuses to find my connection. I tried doing the trackpad on off thing w/ terminal as mentioned in another thread, and that doesn't help. I don't know what the deal is. And before someone suggests it, this problem was happening before I got my HD installed, and my RAM is from the store...so I don't think those are the problems..but maybe some of you know better than I.

It's incredibly annoying, especially when you're working with a ton of apps open at once and have to restart everything. So all help/ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

That sounds to me like it could be a problem with your base system install. kernel_task is the kernel which is the part of the OS that actually deals with low level hardware control. If the kernel doesn't work, the OS can't work. The fact that the kernel_task's PID is 0 shows that it is the first process to start up as the system boots. It's not necessarily a problem with your OS installation, but that's what seems most likely to me. You might try doing an archive and install or even clean installation (backup everything first!).

3. Anawrahta thread starter macrumors member

The Problem is Airport

Hi thanks for the reply mduser. Although I've dug around much more since my post and found out that this is a problem affecting ALL new ibooks!!! :eek:

Aparantly it only really happens to people who have the newest rev iBooks and are using 1.5GB of RAM. Although there have been similar reports in other configs. It has something to do with the APX card. So I would imagine atleast a few other people on this forum have this setup and may be experiencing this problem. For the latest/most information please check out these threads:

Apple Official Info Board

Ars Technica Thread

Google Cache of Mac Fixit Article

I hope the techs at Apple can fix this solution quickly because having to restart my computer all the time when I'm working is a pain and I'm sure others on this board are experiencing the same problem.