Kernel Panic DB

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by conceptdev, Dec 16, 2002.

1. conceptdev macrumors regular

Everyone who has had or is having Kernel Panics in OSX post the situtation of your panic, the machine, the cause and fix if discovered. When we accumulate enough data I will try to put together some sort of online searchable DB (I don't have the foggiest how this is done and I'm probably in over my head but I have a singular will to end this menace).

Hopefully this will help users with no apple care andprovide additional data for apple for future fixes.

2. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

How would you do this for Jaguar? No information whatsoever is given when Jag has a kernel panic... I mean, you can get machine info and whatever, but in X and X.1, the kernel panic actually gave relevent information.

3. Tarlach macrumors newbie

I'm having sporadic kernal panics.
    I am running 10.2.2 and have logging turned on and have yet to find the panic.log file. It isn't on my machine.
    Does 10.2.2 even log to a file as stated?

4. conceptdev thread starter macrumors regular

Logging

I was running Jag on a previous machine, it logged the panics. If people are having problem logging panics in Jag then that is the first issue to overcome, I am off look for a solution.

5. conceptdev thread starter macrumors regular

Panic Gets Logged in 10.2.2

I just managed to create a Kernel Panic in 10.2.2
    using this

(do in the terminal of course_
    mkdir ~/mydir
    rm -rf ~/mydir
    mkdir ~/mydir
    cd ~/mydir
    mkdir mydir
    mv mydir ..

found at slashdot

The panic log appeared at
    /library/logs/panic.log as expected.

You might want to try creating this simple little panic and see if it logs. If it doesn't then that is strange, if it works then there should be something particular about your panic that prevents it from being written to the log.

(maybe creating an empty panic.log file in the correct place would help? -just an idea-)

6. backspinner macrumors 6502a

On Jaguar: install an old version of VirtualPC (5.0.2 updater). It will warn you that the necessary kernel module is out of date. If you proceed then you will defenitely get a panic...

The solution is the 5.0.4 updater, which runs great.