Kernel Panic During 10.4.3 Update

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eidorian, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I turned on my USB hard drive since I needed to check some files on it while I was updated to 10.4.3. My iMac decided to kernel panic during "Finalizing Installation".

It rebooted just fine and the update did stick. I just repaired my disk permssions. A lot of them were off.

So...is there anyway to check if I'm safe or not? Other than running my machine for the next few hours/days.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

You're basically just going to have to wait it out. I would backup your stuff while you can though just in case. Its usually not a good idea to use the OS while its updating as it can cause kernel panics. Its hard to add, change, or modify files while they're in use....

3. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Ugh...I just reinstalled Mac OS X on the 26th too. It's only an hour.

4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Stand Alone- if your flickerd.

I think if you run the stand alone, it should tell you if your ok. Read the article more thoroughly. It makes sense that the premissions might be off, as that is the last thing that is done during an instlation.

I hope this helps.

5. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Uhh...yeah Power Outage. :D

I'll put my data on my external drive. It's there for that reason. Thanks guys. I'll make sure to leave my Mac much more alone in the future when running updates.

6. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

It's only noted, a kernel pannic also inturpts the install. I was just throughly quoteing. The bottem link in the quote talks about possible problems from powerloss to third party mods.

7. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Nope, no third party mods at all.

8. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

No need to respond to the whole thing, it was just a segment of the warrning that came with the install. I don't know what caused your panic, perhaps you should send your problem along with the log to Apple. OSX Feed Back Form They love feedback. Also, if you posted the log here, somebody much better versed in reading the logs might be able to comment. In anycase, it can't hurt to let Apple know.

9. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Nah, I just reinstalled. I know I probably didn't need to but I'm a bit on the paranoid side when it comes to my computer. Thanks again.