Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theblotted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
i've been having trouble with a few of my HDs in MacPro lately, and i'm starting to suspect that it's not HD failure, but instead it's the MacPro itself that's causing the problem.

the HD Volume Header errors i get are always at (2, 0), and i constantly have to go into single-user mode/fsck to fix it. i say constantly, because after i fix it, after a day or two, i get the same error again.

more strangely, now the only way to get out of single-user mode is to type "reboot". in the past, i can also do the "exit" command; but when i do so now, i get the following error.

those Apple savvy users, please help me translate this, cuz i can't figure it out. thanks.

===================================

localhost:/ root# exit
logout
Mounting local filesystems
kern.sysv.shmmax: -1 -> 4194304
kern.sysv.shmmin: -1 -> 1
kern.sysv.shmmni: -1 -> 32
kern.sysv.shmseg: -1 -> 8
kern.sysv.shmall: -1 -> 1024
Resetting files and devices
Starting virtual memory
Removing /mach.sym /var/tmp.folders.* /etc/nologin /private/_tmp_ /var/_run_ /private/var/vm/swapfile0
\mach.sym
Configuring kernel extensions
Jettisoning kernel linker.
Jan 19 23:58:40 kextd[28]: registering service "com.apple.KernelExtensionServer"
Resetting IOCatalogue.
PXS1: family specific matching fails
Matching service count = 1
Matching service count = 2
Matching service count = 15
Jan 19 23:58:41 kextd[28]: 373 cached, 0 uncached personalities to catalog
M-FW: M-Audio Firewire device found.
M-FW: metanub 0x6B8A500 GUID:d6c0410e361e1
MVDANV40HAL loaded and registered.
M-FW: Not an M-Audio Firewire device.
M-FW: Not an M-Audio Firewire device.
M-FW: Firewire bus reset started.
panic(cpu1 caller 0x001A3135): Unresolved kernel trap (CPU 1, Type 14=page fault), registers:
CR0: 0X8001003B, CR2: 0X0000005c, CR3: 0X011ED000, CR4: 0X000006E0
EAX: 0X00000000, EBX: 0X00000000, ECX: 0X00000023, EDX: 0X00000000
EAX: 0X00000000, EBX: 0X00000000, ECX: 0X00000023, EDX: 0X00000000

=================================

cynerjist

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
From what you posted, this is not due to the hard drive (though it sounds like you def. have some problems there, too).

Most people are going to blame your RAM for the kernel panic, but it is more likely an application you are using or a bad driver. Specifically, see what happens if you remove the M-Audio Firewire device from your system. Also, run a test on the memory to eliminate it as a possibility.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
An application in Single User Mode??

This is almost certainly a hardware fault, RAM being the most common cause. I'm not good at reading panic logs, but I can also suggest unplugging any external devices.

theblotted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
thanks for the replies.

i'm pretty sure it's not the RAM, because i did extensive testing with Rember (in single-user mode for more RAM test), multiple times, and they passed with flying colors. i have the Apple-certified heatsink RAMs.

i get this "exit error" without running any application, even fsck.

i have tried unplugging M-Audio device, and i still get this error.

perhaps later tonight i can try unplugging other devices to see if there's any difference.

btw, if anybody knows anything about the constant Volume Header error, i'd love to hear a solution as well.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Disconnect all of your peripheral devices. If your kernel panics cease, then you can start to connect them one at a time until you isolate the culprit. I am still doubtful that a peripheral device could cause a kernel panic in Single User Mode, but it's still worth a try.

theblotted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
Disconnect all of your peripheral devices. If your kernel panics cease, then you can start to connect them one at a time until you isolate the culprit. I am still doubtful that a peripheral device could cause a kernel panic in Single User Mode, but it's still worth a try.

i'm not next to my computer at the moment; but if it's not the peripheral devices... what else would it be? CPU possibly??

theblotted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
quick and easy things to check include making sure ram is properly seated, and making sure ap extreme is securely connected. I also read somewhere about some issues with raid and kernel panics.

found it:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304511

luck-

appreciate the suggestions... tho i'm pretty sure it's not RAM seating (i'm pretty anal about this), AP extreme connected well.

and i'm not using RAID either...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
i'm not next to my computer at the moment; but if it's not the peripheral devices... what else would it be? CPU possibly??

It's reasonable to suspect the motherboard if you get kernel panics in Single User Mode. I've never even heard of such a thing before. I assume the problem must be pretty low-level.

theblotted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
alright, i figured it out. it's not the MacPro as it turns out, thankfully.

it was actually a combination of both M-Audio audio interface and an external LaCie HD. i normally use a different audio interface (RME Fireface), and only use M-Audio for ProTools M-Powered (which is not that often). and LaCie i have it plugged into MP all the time for quick backups.

the reason why i thought it wasn't M-Audio was because after i unplugged it, i was still getting kernel panics. after doing some testings tonight, i've narrowed it down to these 2.

M-Audio causes the kernels often, but not all the time. i would say 8/10 boots. LaCie on the other hand, 10/10.

so now, i'm gonna backup my stuff in a different HD just in case. then email the 2 companies to see what they have to say. i'm glad there are work-arounds for now..

out of curiosity, anything i could do regarding the LaCie? is it completley bad, or is a simple Erase (all 0's) and reformat gonna fix it? it's still readable in MP/OSX, it's just that it causes kernel panic's in single-user mode only.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Sometimes it's not the device, but the cable. USB or Firewire? Do you have any other cables you can try?

Either way, I recommend running fsck in Single User Mode for your internal drive and Disk Utility on your external drive. Kernel panics have a way of creating errors.

theblotted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
Sometimes it's not the device, but the cable. USB or Firewire? Do you have any other cables you can try?

Either way, I recommend running fsck in Single User Mode for your internal drive and Disk Utility on your external drive. Kernel panics have a way of creating errors.

yeah, i thought it may be the cable as well, so i tried both FW 800 and 400 cables (that i know for sure works)... same problem.

fsck and Disk Utility has been used many times during this whole process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.