Kernel Panic + Mount and Volume Name Different

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dark Dragoon, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I have my Mac setup so that the OS is on one hard drive and the Users directory is on another. This setup has worked fine without any problems for the last four months.

Though over the last two weeks I've been getting kernel panics (the grey curtain, telling you to restart) frequently. Some days I have been having as many as three or four, other days it's fine.

The kernel panics don't appear to form any sort of pattern, they have occurred when the machine is idle, when shutting down, waking up from standby etc...

I've run the hardware tests where you restart the computer with the install disk, and they came back ok. I've repaired permissions, run Onyx, and checked the hard drives SMART status.

The other problem which has just started today, is that the mount name and the volume name for the hard drives (2 concatenated drives) where my Users directory is held changes. The name stays as Storage, but the mount name gets changed to Storage 1, and a new folder is created called Storage. Both times this occurred after a kernel panic. I then have to delete Storage, rename Storage 1 back to Storage. Then when I log back in it works ok.

Here's my spec:

mac pro:
    2.66GHz
    2GB RAM (4x512MB)
    ATi X1900XT
    Bluetooth + Airport (with n)
    1 x 150GB Hard Drive (OS)
    2 X 500GB Hard Drives, Concatenated (Users)
    1 x 250GB Gard Drive (Backup)
    2 X Superdrives (1 Sony which came with it, the other is a NEC ND-2510A)

Peripherals:
    Logitech Z5500d Speakers
    Elgato EyeTV Hybrid (with Wii attatched)
    iSight
    20in Cinema Display
    Apple Wireless Keyboard
    Wacom Graphire Bluetooth
    iPod 30GB 5G
    iPod Shuffle 2G

2. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Boot from OS X DVD (restart and hold c) and repair permissions/drive in Disc Utility. Also you could have bad RAM and should check that out too. Also unplug the peripherals when not in use.

3. Dark Dragoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Thanks for the help.

I've unplugged the peripherals that I don't need (eyeTV, iPod's and iSight).

I thought that running the repair permissions from the OS X disc could leave some permissions set incorrectly?

So far it's running OK, though I'll have to see how it goes.

4. Dark Dragoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Sorry for the double post.

At-least the kernel panics seem to have stopped for the moment.

But the mount name and the volume name for the hard drives are still changing sometimes. This happens after a clean shutdown/restart.

I've found out that that I can temporarily fix it from the terminal (rather than single user mode) if I issue the commands fast enough.
    rm -r Storage
    mv Storage*1 Storage
    And the log out and back in.

5. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Did you check the RAM?

6. Dark Dragoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I have run RAM tests.

I ran the memory tester in the Apple Hardware Test, it came back OK.
    I've also run Rember 4 times, it came back OK. After the tests I also checked the Memory in the System Profiler, and all the memory modules reported OK.

I've just had another Kernel Panic, which changed the mount name again.
    I only had finder running at the time. EDIT: Actually I think I also had Safari and Mail open.

The following devices were plugged in:
    Bluetooth Apple Keyboard
    Bluetooth Mighty Mouse
    Apple Cinema Display

7. georgi0 macrumors regular

georgi0

airport disk attached rename problem...

ok i do not know if i have posted this ti the right section but here it goes:

I renamed a directory of my attached usb external hard disk to my airport and suddenly everything is lost under this directory. I do not see even a single file !!

where have all my files gone? the rest of the directories are working fine...

please help help help !!

8. safetyspeaking macrumors newbie

Giving up hope for iBook G4 A1054 that won't come to life

:eek: I think I have done it all to bring my G4; 12"; 1.2 ghz/256/30g back to life. Start it up .. gray screen then a transparent warning to restart and it never will. This all happened after using the Techtool Deluxe )that came with the now expired warranty) after it started the HD was getting very full.
    I have used the install disk (cmd + s) and cannot run "repair disk" ("checking HFS Plus volume. Invalid B-tree node size - volume check failed; reported failure on exit (c-9972) and 1 volume could not be repaired.)
    Also:
    It won't mount (although I can see the Toshiba 29.9 HD) when I firewire it to my G5 and I can't use the G5 to repair disk.
    It did repair disk permissions with install disk but still same issue as above.
    Still won't repair disk.
    When tying to single user it runs down to:
    "Kernel version:
    Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.0: Wed Oct 10 18:26:00 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.24.17~1/RELEASE_PPC
    panic: We are hanging here ..."

Obviously I wish I had deleted files to make more room before this all happened and I especially wish I never touched the stupid TechTool disk.

Can anyone help?