Kernel panic on boot.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NNeeiiLLL, Nov 4, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

NNeeiiLLL

Every time I boot up my machine I get what looks like a kernel panic. The machine reboots and then everything is fine until I do it again. Would appreciate some help in figuring out how to fix it. Below is the kernel panic log.

2. simsaladimbamba

Added any new RAM or HDD or SSD or installed any new application recently?

Do you employ backups?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

NNeeiiLLL

Thanks for the reply. No new RAM but a new SSD. Have been using it since August with no issues. The problems started after I did a Windows 8 boot camp install. Does that help?

And yes, I have up to date Time Machine backups.

4. macrumors 6502

Hmm....I would remove Windows partition and possibly reinstall Mountain Lion. Just my $0.02

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

NNeeiiLLL

I was thinking about it, but wanted to see if I could get around the issues without doing the reinstall.

Now that I have windows 8 installed, if I delete the partition and wait for apple to release the proper drivers, can I still reinstall windows 8 using the same license key or do I need to buy another one?

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

NNeeiiLLL

/Bumping thread

7. macrumors member

Would you by chance have FileVault 2 enabled?

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

NNeeiiLLL

I did, I don't any more and the panics seem to have gone away.

Why?

9. macrumors member

There's your answer. Some Blackberry driver.

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

NNeeiiLLL

Yeah, figured that out a few days ago. Removed it and things are now working well. Took me a while to find it though.

Turns out it was in /library/extensions

11. macrumors regular

I too am having a similar problem with the kernel panics and also have FileVault 2 enabled.

Does this mean that to permanently resolve this kernel panic i need to disable FileVault 2? Or there is this blackberry driver which you have mentioned that i need to remove from my system for it to work?

12. macrumors member

I don't know. Do you have a third-party SSD installed? If not, your problems are probably elsewhere and you can skip the rest of this.

I am experiencing Kernel Panics immediately after login with a totally clean install of ML on a newly partitioned SSD. I only get the KPs when FileVault2 is enabled. If I disable FileVault2, the KPs stop happening. Or if I use a HDD instead of a SSD, I can use FileVault2 without any stability issues.

I suspect (but haven't been able to prove) that the Kernel Panics are being caused by some sort of interaction between the MBP's NVidia SATA chip, and the SSD's Sandforce controller chip, possibly during the SATA bus speed negotiation. I can't explain why this would happen only when FileVault2 is enabled. It might have something to do with how login accesses the recovery partition to unlock the regular partition at boot.

I posted something on this here on macrumors where it's generated little discussion, and also here on the Apple board where there's been a bit more followup.