Kernel panic on repair permissions. What can I do?!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by ChrisH3677, Oct 13, 2004.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

The first indication of a problem was yesterday when I discovered I couldn't connect properly to a Windows server drive. It would seem to do nothing. Others mappings were still working tho

Then I found my print dialogs coming up blank and the only way out was to force quit.

Last night I decided to repair permissions hoping that would fix the problems. Instead, it would get to probably about 80% then kernel panic.

Tried several times. Also tried using Repair Shop (an RP alternative), Verify Permissions and RP after booting from a Panther install disk. Kernel paninc everytime, and at the same point.

Am running 10.3.5

I figure that reinstalling OS X would solve the problems but I don't want to go there yet.

Any suggestions?

thanks

2. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok. a bit more information. Discovered the Repair Disk option in Disk Utility. Ran it with the following messages....

Keys out of order
    Rebuilding Catalog B-tree

The volume could not be repaired

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

Any ideas?

3. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

would backing up my entire disk; reformatting; the restoring from backup fix this problem?

if so, how do i backup my entire disk?