Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Okay, thanks to some bad memory, I've been working through numerous kernel panics. It's only now that I realize that I cannot use X11 anymore, as well as NeoOffice. So, GIMP is non functioning as well as my word processing suite.

I tried removing and reinstalling X11 and it has not helped. Basically X11 opens, then quits (no error report) and takes whatever application was depending on it with it.

I'm loathe to re-install the operating system, but I'm afraid an archive and reinstall will transfer whatever has X11 and NeoOffice broken over to the new install.

Can multiple kernel panics do something like this?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I'm not sure if Kernel panics be that detrimental to the system. I've always thought of them as just an indicator that hardware is having an issue.

Re-installing the system might answer the problem, and it is not that big of a job with OS X. It might be worth a shot. I've never had a problem with X11 never opening.

dragon2611

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
did u try to repair permissons on the disk?

im not a mac expert so i dunno if it will do anything in your case but ive often seen it suggested.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Tried everything and no luck. I think some files got corrupted by the Keneral Panics, and just hosed some parts of my system. Archive and Install didn't help one bit, so off I go to reformat and install.

Good news: only one ram module is bad.
Bad news, I now have to go and redo my whole system. Slightly annoyed.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Mods, please close.

Reformat solved my issues. I guess Kernel panicks can indeed corrupt your software if you have the unfortunate luck of having a program in mid swap when it happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.