Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
My kernel_task (according top 'top -u' in the term) is running up over 30% constantly again. It's been doing this for a few days now. Rebooting fixes it for a while.

But, how can I tell what's causing it? My research revealed that it's something probably hardware related, but I don't have anything new, really. BT keyboard, mouse, charging iPod and a Merlin C201.

Is there any error log or anything that I could use to help diagnose, other than unplugging stuff?

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
What else do you have running? My kernel_tas jumps from 0 to 0.8 and that's about it. With all of my apps open at once (iTunes and and QT playing in the background) it jumps from 0.8 to 2.7.
I have 17 days of uptime.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I've had 12 days of uptime before my first reboot on this problem. There have been no new software installs that i can recall (iChat Status?). I'm running only mail, proteus, ichat, safari, IE, dreamweaver, and X+OpenOffice. Hardware is currently bluetooth mouse (and a bluetooth keyboard is in range but unused), and a Merlin C201 that I've been using for a month with no problems.

I'm beginning to suspect X+OO, since i rarely run those, but have been in the last few days.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
My problem appears to be something to do with X or OpenOffice or "Excel", or all three. The problem persists even after OO and X are shut down, and do not re-occur until I start them back up.

I'm using the version of X that came with Panther, even though I had it running in Jag. OpenOffice hasn't been touched since Jag, so I bet there's an update.

Is there a simple excel viewer for native OSX, so that I don't have to mess with X, i wonder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.