"kernel_task" going nuts agian

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by mainstreetmark, Jan 9, 2004.

1. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

My kernel_task (according top 'top -u' in the term) is running up over 30% constantly again. It's been doing this for a few days now. Rebooting fixes it for a while.

But, how can I tell what's causing it? My research revealed that it's something probably hardware related, but I don't have anything new, really. BT keyboard, mouse, charging iPod and a Merlin C201.

Is there any error log or anything that I could use to help diagnose, other than unplugging stuff?

2. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

What else do you have running? My kernel_tas jumps from 0 to 0.8 and that's about it. With all of my apps open at once (iTunes and and QT playing in the background) it jumps from 0.8 to 2.7.
    I have 17 days of uptime.

3. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I've had 12 days of uptime before my first reboot on this problem. There have been no new software installs that i can recall (iChat Status?). I'm running only mail, proteus, ichat, safari, IE, dreamweaver, and X+OpenOffice. Hardware is currently bluetooth mouse (and a bluetooth keyboard is in range but unused), and a Merlin C201 that I've been using for a month with no problems.

I'm beginning to suspect X+OO, since i rarely run those, but have been in the last few days.

4. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

My problem appears to be something to do with X or OpenOffice or "Excel", or all three. The problem persists even after OO and X are shut down, and do not re-occur until I start them back up.

I'm using the version of X that came with Panther, even though I had it running in Jag. OpenOffice hasn't been touched since Jag, so I bet there's an update.

Is there a simple excel viewer for native OSX, so that I don't have to mess with X, i wonder?