Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
So, after 4 weeks wait, i finally get my Macbook Air. 24 hours later, the thing thats supposed to "just work", just doesnt.

I was watching the padfone-clip on techcrunch, when that familiar sound of apple+flash=fan kicked in. First, i didnt think much of it, other than that the computer went awfully slow. Figured it had to do with the browser, so turned it off. Fan still went on like crazy. Fine, lets reboot. Well, 10 seconds into boot, fan kicks on (New power throttle state: 1 Old state: 0, was written when running verbose).

So, here i am several SMC and PRAM resets later. 5 hours wasted on reinstalling Lion. Deleted user account. You name it. What the hell is up, and does anybody have a fix?

And no, i dont have an Apple store near by, so i cant swing by the Genius bar or whatever.

24 hour lifetime for a $2000 product. Great job Apple. Sigh.

p.s.,

CPU temp is fine, running at 40 degrees or so. I just wish the stupid kernel_task could recognize this and stop spinning.

Addendum
:

Processor: 1.8 Ghz Intel Core i7
Memory: 4 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I Hope I'm Wrong

So, after 4 weeks wait, i finally get my Macbook Air. 24 hours later, the thing thats supposed to "just work", just doesnt.

I was watching the padfone-clip on techcrunch, when that familiar sound of apple+flash=fan kicked in. First, i didnt think much of it, other than that the computer went awfully slow. Figured it had to do with the browser, so turned it off. Fan still went on like crazy. Fine, lets reboot. Well, 10 seconds into boot, fan kicks on (New power throttle state: 1 Old state: 0, was written when running verbose).

So, here i am several SMC and PRAM resets later. 5 hours wasted on reinstalling Lion. Deleted user account. You name it. What the hell is up, and does anybody have a fix?

And no, i dont have an Apple store near by, so i cant swing by the Genius bar or whatever.

24 hour lifetime for a $2000 product. Great job Apple. Sigh.

p.s.,

CPU temp is fine, running at 40 degrees or so. I just wish the stupid kernel_task could recognize this and stop spinning.

Addendum
:

Processor: 1.8 Ghz Intel Core i7
Memory: 4 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

But the only thing I can think of is a flaky SSD. You've pretty much tried everything I was going to suggest. Hate to say it, but I'd get it swapped out. Every now and then a lemon gets through....It's no consolation, but my 13" 256 (about a month old now) runs like a dream. Take it back...It's the only option really. Hope you get it sorted out.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
But the only thing I can think of is a flaky SSD. You've pretty much tried everything I was going to suggest. Hate to say it, but I'd get it swapped out. Every now and then a lemon gets through....It's no consolation, but my 13" 256 (about a month old now) runs like a dream. Take it back...It's the only option really. Hope you get it sorted out.

sigh, taking it back would mean i'd probably have to wait another month to get a replacement. with the p-key dead on my other laptop that would suck. big time.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You Could Try

sigh, taking it back would mean i'd probably have to wait another month to get a replacement. with the p-key dead on my other laptop that would suck. big time.

Downloading and running Onyx for Lion...It sometimes finds things that Disk Utility misses, it's free so worth a shot...Fingers crossed, but I'm still thinking a swap out is going be the end result.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
Downloading and running Onyx for Lion...It sometimes finds things that Disk Utility misses, it's free so worth a shot...Fingers crossed, but I'm still thinking a swap out is going be the end result.

Mkay. Im thinking about doing a clean reinstall too, just to check. Unfortunately, i saw no such option in the installer, so means i have to waste even more time on this.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
swiping the disk unlikely to help. fan is loud as **** even in internet recovery. something is seriously messed up. sigh.

ill know for certain in say, 5 hours or so when Lion finishes installing.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
As suspected, clean install was a vaste of time.

Culprit is kernel, more specifically its inclination to turn "Power Throttle" to 1, even though CPU temp is low - and refuse to ever turn it off (except for closing the lid).

Great work Apple. Way to shine!

Queen6

macrumors G4

Culprit is kernel, more specifically its inclination to turn "Power Throttle" to 1, even though CPU temp is low - and refuse to ever turn it off (except for closing the lid).

Your issue is more likely related to hardware, if you have reinstalled the OS the kernel is not the issue, if it is software related it will be at a lower level SMC, have you previously installed any 3rd party fan/temperature management software? if no I recommend you call Apple for a replacement.

Given the vast numbers systems produced a percentage will fail, something we all have to deal with,at Apple`s price point this is harder to bear, however Apple has the best customer care in the business and you problem will be rectified.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009

You do not understand the manufacturing process if you honestly think every product off an assembly line is supposed to be perfect. At a high enough volume, it's realistic to expect that QA will not be able to catch everything either, and no, it doesn't matter how "expensive" it is, that's simply the reality of a high volume product in the manufacturing process.

Apple will take of this problem.

halledise

macrumors 68000

so you got a dud - lighten up

and by the way, you don't need to keep downloading Lion - once s/be enough

try this:
(from afp548.com)

http://goo.gl/yszMx

divinox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
I know, i know. Just frustrated (and not in the mood to be computer-less for a month while i wait for a repair/replacement). Anyway, the computer lives again... for now. For some reason the power throttle backed down after booting. Haven't had it run amok since. Then again, i haven't really loaded it with anything either. Gonna have the IT-guy at work have a look at it tomorrow and take it from there. With some luck we can get Apple to just take it back, and i'll hold on to this until the replacement arrives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.