Kerry Backer Tries in Vain to Get Protest to Bush

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Aug 25, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

CRAWFORD, Texas (Reuters) - Former Sen. Max Cleland on Wednesday rolled up to President Bush (news - web sites)'s ranch in his wheelchair to deliver a public protest against what he called "disgraceful" attacks against fellow Vietnam veteran John Kerry (news - web sites)'s Vietnam war service.

"The question is where is George Bush (news - web sites)'s honor. The question is where is his shame," Cleland said after Bush's guards refused to accept his letter calling on the president to "recognize this blatant attempt at character assassination, and publicly condemn it."

The Bush campaign dispatched its own supporters, including a war veteran, to meet Cleland and supporters of the Democratic nominee at a security checkpoint just down the road from the entrance to Bush's secluded ranch.

But Cleland refused to give the letter, signed by nine senators who served in the military, to Jerry Patterson, a former Marine who now serves as Texas State Land Commissioner.

Patterson had his own letter for Kerry, signed by him and other war veterans, that criticized Kerry's anti-war comments after he returned from Vietnam.

Cleland rolled his wheelchair back and forth across the road and around barricades trying to give the letter to a Secret Service agent, state trooper or a Bush aide, all of whom evaded him.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan described Cleland's appearance at Crawford as a "political stunt."

The dispute over Kerry's service has dominated the neck-and-neck race for the election in recent days as both candidates try to portray themselves as the best man to lead the United States in its war against terrorism.

Bush has called for the ads by Swift Boat Veterans for Truth to be stopped along with others run by independent groups. But he stopped short of condemning the group or its accusations.

Worried about falling support among veterans, Kerry's campaign dispatched Cleland to Texas where he said Bush "owes it to every soldier and veteran in the nation to stop condoning their smears through his silence."

Cleland lost his own 2002 bid in Georgia for re-election to the U.S. Senate after a bitter campaign in which Republicans questioned his patriotism. Cleland lost both his legs and one arm while serving in Vietnam. ​

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...=/nm/20040825/pl_nm/campaign_kerry_vietnam_dc

2. macsrus macrumors 6502

It depends on how it is handled by the media....
    If It is shown over and over again... With the media presenting it as a crippled man in a wheel chair that the Republican's(i.e. Bush) mistreated (attacked his patriotism....they really said he was soft on supporting the military)... Then it could play well for Kerry....

If they portray it as a stunt then it will play well for Bush.... will will have to wait and see.

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I am sure Bush will do no such thing, since Kerry has already asked moveon.org to stop running ads questioning Bush's national guard service. And in the case of the SBVT, they are lying. Condemning lies should not require any preconditions.

4. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Took the words right out of my mouth!

I might also add that the original argument sounds like something I'd hear on the playground! :rolleyes:

Bush's character is seriouly in question.

5. macsrus macrumors 6502

Really???
    Provide the links.... I've never heard that before.

6. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

here's one.
    the precise quote
    FYI Dec. 11th happened after his first purple heart.
    http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040825-125217-7993r.htm

7. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

BTW it was reported on FOX that a representative of Bush was there to receive the letter from Clelland. Clelland refused to give him the letter. The representative also had a letter for Clelland to stop playing such media grabbing games.

I like the way Boortz put it.

8. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Notice how there isn't any... those lies, they just keep on coming.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The representative was stated by some news outlets as a member of the Texas Board of Safety or some such state police officer.

Bush seems to have lost the "compassion" of the 2000 campaign. Tell me why Bush did not accept the letter of protest personally. Accepting it would not have been admission that he agreed with it.

10. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Leo, and the Washington Times (as well as FOX, Boortz, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Savage, and Dr. Laura).

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Purple Hearts, Shmurple Hearts.

4 words (and a comma): Bronze Star, Silver Star

4 more words (and an apostrophe): Coke head momma's boy

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lord no! Ask her what her views on gay marriage are. I'd say you're avoiding her because she's a shrewish opinionated b**** who tries to pass a physiology degree off as a psychology degree. That's why I ignore her anyway.

13. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

By which I mean, ideologues and crackpots in general.

14. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

I just noticed that the title was that he tried in "vain" to get it to Bush. Sorry he could've given it to Bush's representative who was there and tried to receive the letter. So the in Vain part is wrong. In fact technically speaking such a statement would be a flat out lie.

15. katchow macrumors 6502

if the statement were "he tried in 'vain' to get it to Bush's advisor whom he trusted to give the letter to Bush" than, yeah, that would be a flat out lie.

as it stands, i don't see anything false about that statement. He wanted to give the letter to Bush directly. After all thats probably why he went in person, y'know to give Bush the letter.

16. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

No, he went in person because he knew that would draw the press.
    Sending a intern would've also gotten the job done, but the press would've then ignored the story.

17. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Did you read your own link?

All SBVT is doing is taking a journal entry out of context and trying to create a controversy over a contradiction that doesn't exist.

Also you should understand even if his injury was caused by friendly fire during combat he would have qualified for a Purple Heart. Only those who were wounded by intentional self inflicted wounds would not qualify. Of course, the idea of intentional exploding a grenade to receive a wound in order to get a medal is so stupid even the SBVT liars aren't trying out that one. Anyone doing such a crazy thing would very likely be dead.

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I can think of nothing more insane than to use a bloody grenade to inflict a wound on oneself.

Unless you're suicidal, there are roughly 1,000,000,000 more predictably safe ways to hurt yourself.

19. katchow macrumors 6502

that's true too. funny how protests don't carry much weight unless somebody actual hears about it.

i just thought you were kinda nitpicking the title of this thread...

20. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

I don't think anyone accused him of doing it on purpose, anyone reputable that is.

21. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

This report goes on showing the bias in the mass media in reporting this and other stories. It is too long to post the entire thing here.
    http://www.mediaresearch.org/cyberalerts/2004/cyb20040826.asp#1
    They include the stories from all the variety of so called mass media outlets, argue their case about bias and then provide links to the original stories.