Kerry campaign claims "dirty tricks" on NASA pictures

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Durandal7, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

The Following is a transcript from a Fox News interview with Kerry campaign manager Mary Beth Cahill:

*Begin Transcript*
    HUME: I must ask you about this photograph that suddenly turned up and fell in our laps last night nobody thought it was come. nobody had reported on the event which led to-t but there he was, the senator, on all fours in this very peculiar outfit, which i guess nasa had given him. how did that come about?

CAHILL: Well, yesterday senator john glenn, obviously he was an astronaut in his previous life sexrvings senator carr took a tour of a bio facility at nasa. it was just the two of them, and the nasa staff, and all of a sudden this is a leaked photo.

HUME: It was leaked?

CAHILL: Yes.

HUME: It was made by nasa, right?

CAHILL: Yes, it was.

HUME: So the campaign had no idea there would be any photographs.

CAHILL: None.

HUME: When it was agreed he would put on his the costume.

CAHILL: There was no press there. there was -- nothing. all of the sudden these photographs are out.

HUME: Do you smell a dirty trick here?

CAHILL: Well, what do you think?

HUME: That NASA is not a particularly political organization.

CAHILL: This was a pledge i want tour, obviously that, senator glenn and senator kerry were taking at cape canaveral, and all of the sudden these photographs appeared, and, you know, take it as you may.

HUME: Well, is there any concern that this photo might prove as embarrassing as the fabled tank photo did in 1988?

CAHILL: You know, i think probably nasa will release the photograph of senator glenn, former astronaut, in the same –

HUME: In fact, there is a shot with a bunch of them in these outfits. he is not running, of course.

CAHILL: And the thing is this is a legitimate tour of a nasa facility, and this photograph appeared out of nowhere. we were surprised. we're not surprised now.

HUME: You don't have anyone in mind? do you think --

CAHILL: I don't.
    *End Transcript*

All I can say about those photos is, ouch.

Attached Files:

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

He's just wearing a clean room suit, right? I don't see the big deal. It's protective so he doesn't damage the equipment.

I fail to see how this makes Kerry look like he's "playing astronaut."

And, to make a point, the only time "dirty tricks" was uttered, it came from Hume's mouth.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

4. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

I'm a little confused. When Cahill says that the campaign had no idea there would be any pictures, did he mean no pictures period or no pictures leaked to the press?

I'm guessing that Bush has a mole on Kerry's team taking these photos.

5. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

its actually kinda cool... i want to wear a clean suit!

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hey I didn't have to wear a bunny suit when I took my tour of the shuttle on the launch pad.

But we only got to walk around the outside, between the shuttle and main tank, etc.

Really interesting stuff at the pad as far as the systems go.

7. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

There is nothing weird about this, and the Kerry campaign didn't even claim dirty tricks. they basically made no comment. No biggie.

Lee Tom

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's thought of as a "big" issue because of the Mike Dukakis thing years ago. For the younger members here, presidential candidate Dukakis had been portrayed by the elder Bush as a wimp on defense. So some bright PR guy got the idea of a photo op with Dukakis in a tank, wearing a military helmet. It got made fun of. A lot. I'm sure some people see resonances of that here.

9. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning

there is no comparison despite the media's attempt to portray one...

i heard wolf blitzer comment on kerry in an "astronaut suit" last night. surely, this anchor is not such a moron to not know a clean suit when he see's one....geeez. kerry'd be wearing basically the same thing if he was touring motorola's chip factory.

this is such an obvious republican "war room" ploy and it's just sad that the media is too damn dumb to know they're being played like a fiddle. and it's even sadder that a portion of the u.s. is so willing to swallow the swill.

10. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Yeah, I remember this, and I still say "no biggie." No comparison, really. The equivalent blunder was already made this year, by Dean.

Lee Tom

11. Bobcat37 macrumors member

Hehe, I can't help but chuckle at the few of you who think this is one of those "vast-right-wing-conspiracies" the far left frets about. Seriously, that's just sad.

All this is is a goofy picture of Kerry... yeah, that's really going to hurt him. Those sneaky Republicans, you should see what they have planned next, they're gonna release some photos of Kerry eating a Sloppy Joe, and let me tell you, it ain't pretty! :p

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

who are you talking to? seriously, no one here has said anything about a conspiracy. please point me to a post that qualifies as "just sad."

are you reading what we write, or have you already made up your mind that we're just a bunch of idiot liberals?

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

The difference is, the younger Bush hasn't accused Kerry of being weak on clean rooms or even weak on space.

14. Bobcat37 macrumors member

Maybe I missed something, but it sounds like he's blaming Republicans and a "war room ploy" (or conspiracy, close enough wordage) for a silly photo?

And I don't think any of you are idiots, so don't say I do... maybe you're politically misguided, but idiots don't buy Macs ;)

PS- LOL madchemist, that was hilarious.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

a ploy from a war room does not a "vast right-wing conspiracy" make, even for us "far left."

Not idiots, "just sad," right?

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

thank you for responding.

one thing that's definitely frowned upon here is lumping people together, as you did w/ the "(a) few of you" comment. if you have issue w/ an individual's comments, please be courteous and address it at such, but leave the rest of us out of it.

17. Bobcat37 macrumors member

Alright I'll give you that one... but trying to balme Republicans for this does seem silly. I don't see how anyone in their right mind could think this will hurt Kerry... at most it might give the Late Night talk show hosts a few good jokes. Maybe a Republican "leaked" these unbelievably incriminating photos, or maybe not... my point is, who cares! Now I'll just shut up, heh!

Exactly, lol :rolleyes: (just kidding of course, you're a tough cookie pseudobrit)

PS- Zim, I understand. I don't like it when people lump stuff together or stereotype either... I'll be more careful to practice what I preach from now on. It's rough joining a new message board and jumping into what is probably the most heated forum on day 1!

18. Bobcat37 macrumors member

Ah double post! The forums froze when I was typing this... and apparently I can't delete my own posts here like at some other forums

-_- My bad!

19. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

It isn't a big deal.

I didn't see the interview, but based on the transcript it sounds as though Ms. Cahill went on the defensive at that point:
    I wonder if in hindsight it would have been more effective for her to just laugh it off and diffuse the situation, e.g. "You know, we were surprised that those photographs would be made public, but it is a funny-looking suit isn't it? Anyways, back to the real issues..."

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

My increasingly superficial LA Times ran with this story this morning, to my dismay. Of course is was one of these "stories about the story" things, which is supposed to make it a legitimate subject for journalism. The angle was about how the photo being picked up by the tabloids had caused a "problem" for the Kerry campaign, even though the "problem" is entirely synthetic. Reminds me of the Gary Hart hatchet job a few campaigns back. Just get the tabs to run some stupid story, and the respectable media will been drawn in, one way or another. Apparently, it's just that simple.

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yeah, I'm w/you.

If there photos were an attempt at a hack/smear job it has to be the worst attempt in political history. Seriously, the worst thing you could do w/thos photos is animate them into a funny flash movie.

Lethal

23. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    bob, thanks for entirely missing the point...

firstly, there IS a republican war room...it's located just outside the dnc center and it is called the " war room" by the republicans. their job is to discredit the democratic attacks on bush and to disseminate information that draws attention away from the true issues. if my referring to a factual entity somehow seems conspiratorial to you...ummm, well, ok.

secondly, my central point was that it's a sad state of affairs when the major news orginizations take their subject matter form the very biased camps of BOTH political parties. did you read the multi-page talking points issued by the republicans when kerry became the obvious democratic candidate? i did...and then i watched the major news stations regurgitate this stuff almost verbatim for days. the kerry picture comparisons to dukakis( not the pictures themselves) were so far fetched that i doubt the idea's origin came from a news researcher...so where would it come from? if it walks like a duck....

thirdly, let me take this further and say that i fully expect the democrats to have a similar " war room" during the rnc convention. i will equally despise the news orginizations for running with their propaganda also.

so do you now get my point? everyone deserves a decent news program based on intelligent and well-researched journalism, not mindless talking heads filling the time with pointless party tripe. if i want to watch someone convincingly read a script I'll watch a hitchcock movie...

and yes IJ, i also saw the "bunny suit" article in the l.a. times...so now my question is...who the hell calls a "clean suit" a "bunny suit"?

sheesh.

24. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

Sean Hannity interviewed some bald black liberal on John Kerry's team who stated that Kerry's campaign released these photos to the press. I don't see anything wrong with them, I can imagine what the press would be saying if Bush was caught in those photos and I would be argueing "so what". However, why would the Kerry campaign claim "dirty tricks" on NASA pictures, when it was all his own doing?

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Have a source or link for that, other than citing something you said you saw on TV?

And I did say "so what?" about a similar topic about Bush, where a campaign staffer was reported to tell unemployed people to take Prozac.

So play your "unfair liberal bias" card somewhere else, it ain't flyin' here.