"Kerry/Edwards" stickers on a Hummer H2?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 2jaded2care, Aug 27, 2004.

1. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

No kidding, I'm driving to work (as I am wont to do), and a Hummer H2 passes me with not one, but two Kerry/Edwards stickers on the rear windshield. Of course, I'm trying to keep it under 70 mph in my non-gas-guzzler, so he or she was doing...?

So anyway, I'm thinking, "What is up with that?". Did the guy lose a bet? Is this a classic case of the limousine liberal ("Do as I say, not as I do")? When did GM come out with a hybrid H2? (What would a hybrid H2 get, an improved 15 mpg?) Is the guy a rich trial lawyer? I mean, that beast costs more than my annual salary. The pump prices alone would eat me alive.

Not to say that all Dems have to be the stereotypical Volvo driver with the "Anybody but Bush" sticker on one side and the "It will be a great day when the schools have all the money they need, and the Air Force has to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber" sticker on the other... But still... WTF?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

He was probably lent it by the garage while they were fixing his Volvo...

3. katchow macrumors 6502

oh i dunno, there are plenty of issues to support kerry over bush on...

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I bet he needed it for work. ;)

Seriously, though, there are a lot of rich liberals. I know Warren Buffett is one. I'd be interested to know which way Bill Gates votes. We *know* how Steve stands.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

there's a huge 4x4 pickup that parks on my street, the kind w/ 4 wheels on the rear axle. it's got indiana plates, the "Environment" series.

Attached Files:

6. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

politics has the strangest connections...both parties are full of a lot of rich people and that's not likely to change

though it wasn't the case 25 years ago, the south has a lot of republicans and now there are a lot of blue collar workers and minorities who vote republican

with so many appointments of minorities in the bush administration, there are likely many minorities who feel comfortable with the president...while i don't think bush is doing this for looks, i don't think today's gop is all that inclusive and they really are still the party of of rich...they are just better at making themselves look like they are friendly to minorities, blue collar workers, and the baptist belt in the south...it's all pr and spin

why would the blue collar worker want a president who gives 99 percent of the tax cuts to white collar workers and to the idle rich?? when i hung out with my republican construction worker friends working on a rich person's house, i explained the economics of the situation and they all voted for gore...i simply said, "are you going to vote for the working man or the rich people who own these mansions?" ...he he... nuff said ;)

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

but you're from atlanta...isn't that a stronghold for rich and powerful democrats? i know the south, in general, voted for bush, but the urban centers are still very solidly democratic

my guess is that he is an alanta area businessperson tied into that democratic power structure in atlanta...heck, it could be amy carter ;)

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

At least a pickup *could* be used for work. An H2 is just a pimped up Yukon, an oversized, gas-guzzling station wagon.

P.S. ever seen this NSFW site? Some people definitely have strong opinions about the H2.

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

station wagons eat gas...i know, i have one ;)

a hummer is great for a lot of things...i can use it to scare people, i can use it to pave my driveway, heck i can even cheat and win a road race ;)

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I have a station wagon, too. It gets 30 MPG. Granted, my Passat might not have quite same the interior room as an H2, but an H2 is lucky to get 10 MPG. Also, don't confuse the Hummer with the H2. The H2 is not a real Hummer, doesn't have its off-road capabilities. Added benefit: I can park my Passat in a standard parking place.

12. 2jaded2care thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess if you want to look at it like, the H2 is the Hummer for wimps, it might make sense... in a weird way... maybe...?

The funniest thing I've seen recently was one of those pickups with the monster-truck wheels and suspension, parked next to a Cooper Mini. Wish I'd had a camera...

(In case anyone doesn't know, the term for the pickup described in another post is a "dually", as in dual wheels. AKA "Pain in the arse to maneuver", or "the truck with the cracked, protruding wheel covers".)

13. 2jaded2care thread starter macrumors 6502

So, how many mansions for rich people are the construction guys going to build
    if the rich get socked? Kinda the flip side of the question, if the CEOs lay off all the 'Mercuns and ship the work overseas, how will said 'Mercuns be able to buy the products?

I'll admit I don't understand economics, but then again economists don't seem to agree amongst themselves anyway, so I'm not sure it really matters.

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

that's kind of like saying, "don't soldiers wish there were more insurgents in iraq to fight thus lengthening the war so the us army could have job security?" ;)

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I've lived in NC for 14 years now. I am a Yankee, as I am sometimes told by southerners. I am proud of it. Sometimes I see strange things that make no sense to my Yankee brain. Earlier this summer I was driving over to a friend's house. On the way, I saw a white dually coming towards me and thought nothing of it. I see them all the time. As I got closer I realized something was wrong.
    Very wrong.
    It was too long! Far too long!
    Holy Pancakes!!
    It was a dually limosene!!!!!!!!!!!!! [insert AOLgab WTF!!11!1]

It looked remarkably like this (Beware, it's a tripod.com site, so there's generous pop-ups).
    This makes no sense to my Yankee brain.

Go Red Sox.

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i bet the rent per hour on that thing is enormous with gas being as high as it is...i would like to see a super stretch mini cooper...the yuppies would rent that thing all the time

a mini cooper mini van would be a novelty, too, but expensive i guess

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The H2 is an overpriced, rebodied Chevy Tahoe that lacks offroad prowess and the hertiage of AM General's HMMWV and GM would be ashamed but they're too busy counting the profits from the suckers who think they're buying something _______ (safe, stylish, powerful, spacious, for off-roading, etc.).

Vehicles designed for serious offroading are narrow and need not be heavy; look at a Land Rover Defender sometime, or a Jeep CJ. True off-road and farm vehicles, they are.

Any time you see an SUV that's enormous and has its 4wd as an option, it's typically not made to be an offroad vehicle and its capacity in such endeavors is questionable.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

*shrugs* I saw a Bush/Cheney sticker on a Civic Hybrid the other day. Did I try to psychoanalyze the driver? No. There are teachers who support Bush, and CEO's who support Kerry. To assume otherwise is to fall victim to gross generalizations.

FWIW I got into it with a friend of my old neighbor about a year ago because I made a comment about the 'Love Your Mother' sticker she had on her 'burban. :D

19. 2jaded2care thread starter macrumors 6502

No offense, but seriously I don't get this analogy. I don't understand the apparent comparison of rich people who are having mansions built to Iraqi insurgents. Please explain. I'm not playing dumb, maybe I just am... :confused:

20. 2jaded2care thread starter macrumors 6502

Mactastic, I do try to avoid making generalizations about people, but to me this was like seeing a camo-painted Jag zooming down the interstate. As I said, I couldn't afford one of these vehicles, let alone the fuel costs. However, I don't begrudge anyone else who can afford it having one. I can say that I don't agree with the priorities of anyone who buys an H2 (be they rich or not), but that's my problem. I also strongly disagree with anyone who would torch an H2 to make a "political point".

However, as with your argument against putting pro-environment stickers on a Suburban, this sight struck me as self-contradictory. I suppose it's possible to support Kerry/Edwards on other issues and, IMO, put selfish desires before environmentalist goals. And I certainly realize that many Dems are rich, for example, both Kerry and Edwards.

I'm something of a contradiction too. Not to take a holier-than-thou attitude, but I'm a Rep who recycles more than many Dems I know, and I'm not in the fabled top 1 or 2% of wage-earners, but I'm still usually a Rep. Of course, that makes me an idiot according to other posts on these pages. (To me, this makes as much sense as the converse argument, that any rich people who are Dems are idiots.)

On a side note, I don't understand these Dem celebs (rich people) decrying the Bush tax cuts. If they really think they got too much of a break, the Treasury Dept. has a mechanism by which they can donate to the gov't. If they are serious, I hope that they have availed themselves of this. Certainly the fact that other rich people might not do the same should not in any way be a deterrent to "doing the right thing."

21. katchow macrumors 6502

ummm...maybe you should try harder.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I just found it amusing that you were trying to stay away from the generalizaions, but fell victim to so many in your posts.

You do know you can get an H2 for about half price through a loophole in the tax code aimed at farm vehicles, right? All you gotta do is be self-employed and justify the vehicle for work purposes, and voila. :p

23. 2jaded2care thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, the wimp comment was a lame attempt at humor. Thought it was worded in such a way as to indicate that wasn't my true personal opinion. Failed again *sigh*.

Me calling anyone a wimp is pretty funny. Richard Simmons is more physically intimidating than I am.

As a side note and in my defense, I feel compelled to admit that the aforementioned Volvo driver, whilst offered as a stereotypical Dem, actually parks nearby... Or was there some other comment which offended? Please let me know, admittedly I occasionally suffer tunnel-vision.

I'm aware of the SUV tax break, and have kvetched about it repeatedly in the past. I can't imagine a legitimate work use for an H2, unless one is routinely transporting several 275-lb. professional football linemen.