Kerry on the Daily Show

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kuyu, Aug 25, 2004.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Did anyone else see this interview last night? I thought Kerry came off as nice and intelligent. Of course Jon Stewart was funny, and asked him some good questions.

My two favorites were "Yes or no. Everytime I use ketchup, does your wife get a nickel?" Answer: "Were it so!!!"

"I've been watching the 24 hour cable news, and apparently you were never in Vietnam" Answer: "That's what I heard too."

Kerry said he was looking forward to the debates, but that it wasn't going to be really easy. He commented that Bush had never lost a debate.

I thought he made a good point in saying that we are sick of 527's telling us that mudslinging is all that matters this campaign. He feels that we really want to focus on issues, not history. Here here!

2. katchow macrumors 6502

i thought he came across very well...and the show had some jilarious moments too. i loved the little girl as the 'oil company's' spokesperson. and the quote by kerry later, i paraphrase, "this not a problem we can drill ourselves out of. it requires invention..." (talking about our dependance on foreign oil)

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I heard it as I was working late last night. Funny stuff.

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Yeah,
    I have seen some clips of Kerry's speeches on TV, and haven't been all too impressed. Seeing him in a relaxed sit-down atmosphere really raised my opinion of him. I don't think Bush would be quite as easy in a situation like that...
    like when he sat down on one of the cable news shows last week with his wife and talked about stem cell research. He seemed so defensive all the time, and his wife would jump in for him at times.
    Maybe that's why you have to sign an oath that you will vote for him to go to any of his campaign Q&A sessions.

Lee Tom

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

"Would that it were" was his reply. I remember because at that moment I thought about how I'd never heard anything closely articulate a use of the language by our current president.

In fact, I can't even imagine the words "would that it were" leaving GW's mouth.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I can, just not in that order.

Yes, John Kerry does seem to speak in complete sentences, like Bill Clinton before him. They are long and full of dependent clauses, commas and semicolons. IOW, he seems like a bright guy. Unfortunately, smart doesn't count for much in American politics.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

rotflmao

i don't think it counts for much in american society at large.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

maybe not, but at least it counts for something here in the "hallowed halls" of the MR Politics/War Forum...

All hope is not yet lost...

9. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

That's right. I knew it was something close to that. Forgive me, I was high.

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Trust me when I say I've heard that excuse before.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

12. macsrus macrumors 6502

Being a good speaker does not in itself denote Intelligence....

This is the same old diatribe repeated year after year....

Every Democratic President or Presidential Candidate is an Intellectual....
    While every Republican President or Candidate is a moron....

Everyone knows that Bush is not a good speaker....
    Everyone should know that he graduated from Yale, and received his masters from Harvard.... The man is not dumb

So enough is enough

If you disagree with someones policies.... Fine... don't vote for them...
    But lets drop the intellectual/moron rhetoric

13. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

On the contrary, good communication is ESSENTIAL to the job of the president of the U.S. I believe Kennedy and Reagan were able to leverage our position in certain ways by using their communication skills. (Kennedy got us out of the cuban missile crisis, and Reagan got us out of the cold war).

A significant (and valid) reason why people dislike Bush is he strained our relations with many strong allies, because he wasn't able to communicate properly. Reagan may have been able to give the same terms and gotten better results, entirely because of the nuances of language.

my 2 cents
    Lee Tom

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I will stop propogating the perception (incorrect) that he is an idiot and a moron, when he stops propogating the perception (incorrect) that he is an "everyman, man-of-the-people, aw-shucks cowboy-type, regular average guy..."

15. macsrus macrumors 6502

While I don't disagree with your statment here....It does not have anything to do with whether or not...... being a good speaker by itself denotes intellegence

I will save the Kennedy arguments for another day....
    I disagree with this... If he was the worlds best orator, he still would have strained our relations with some allies( Although some of those allies have historically been only fair weather friends at best).
    [/QUOTE]

16. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I disagree. Good diplomacy would have greatly helped our position. I believe we could have done the same thing, with better results, if we had been more keen diplomatically.
    A good leader requires good diplomacy skills.
    Good diplomacy skills require good communication.
    Bush is not a good communicator.
    Therefore, following my logic, Bush is not (carry the one, multiply...) oh yes! Bush is not a good leader!

Lee Tom

17. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Poor speaking ability does not necessarily indicate low intelligence.

However, a good oral communication, when it is extemporaneous, does.

Idiots can't think on their feet ;)

18. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Here's a good analysis of Kerry on the Jon Stewart show, on the Media Notes column by Howard Kurtz of the Washington Post. For what it's worth, this is a pretty good column to read, as he quotes many different sources so you can see how the press is reacting to things.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/nation/columns/kurtzhoward/

Lee Tom

19. wwworry macrumors regular

not true.
    not one ever said Bob Dole was dumb.
    not many people said GHWBush was dumb but he did occasionally mangle the language
    Dan Quayle was dumb
    Reagan was seen as more senile than dumb.
    Ford was not dumb but clutzy
    Tricky Dick??? No
    Goldwater, no
    Ike? No
    Dewey, no.
    etc.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It depends on what you mean by being a "good speaker." Some very good actors couldn't think their way out a paper sack (I'll leave that line blank and let you fill in a name). But I have yet to run into an extemporaneous speaker whose intelligence did not closely match their presentation skills.

Also, I don't get your instant defensiveness on this subject. The balance of your reply had nothing whatsoever to do with my point.

21. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Do great minds think alike or did you read my post? :p Or both? :D

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Must be both... :eek:

23. Sneeper macrumors regular

Sneeper

Is now a good time to point out that bush probably doesn't know what the word 'sovereign' means? :)

http://www.forsythia.net/~amoran/funny/BushUnityConfSovereignty.wmv

(Sorry about it being WMV.. it's the source it was sent to me in)

This is the leader of the free world we are talking about, not 4th grade Social Studies student. Hehe

24. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Thanks for the link. How the **** did he ever get the job????