Kerry Promises $20B To Education

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, May 6, 2004.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link

I'm very impressed with this, it just about perfectly fits what I've been advocating for a while. Higher pay, and the end of tenure. It will be a tough sell to the Democratic base, but it could be the 'only Nixon could have gone to China' kind of thing. They'd never let the GOP do it, but from one of their own they might. And I'm sure the right would love to have teachers compete for money the way everyone else does.

A vote for Bush is a vote for more unfunded education mandates with the ultimate goal of dismantling the Dept. of Education.

A vote for Kerry is a vote for reform of the education system with the ultimate goal of improving learning.

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Without knowing too much about the details here, I tend to agree with you, mac - especially with regards to Kerry being someone who might be able to broker reform from both sides...Although I am against tenure as a rule, I at times support it (at the University level), as it affords the right for individuals to speak out without the risk of being fired, and I have enjoyed that feature of academia...so I'd like to see a plan in more detail...

I will say that Kerry will bring with him a definite improvement in Education, just by replacing Bush and The No Child Left Behind act, which has no chance of being rescinded while Bush is in office...educational reform is badly needed...

3. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Since most educational decisions are made by politicians there is a truism in education: nothing lasts longer than 5 years. There are a few exceptions, phonics, for example.

4. numediaman macrumors 6502a

John Kerry? He's that Democrat from Massachusetts, right? Has he been on vacation the past few months? What's everyone's opinion about whether he can get the nominiation? Who else is running? What happened to Howard Dean, haven't heard from him either? Lieberman is running as a Republican, right?

I haven't been able to keep up with the Dems, too much news from those Republicans. :D