Kerry Strategy...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Apr 22, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Hello all, upon reading an article in the NYT today about Kerry releasing his first TV spots, I was intrigued by the opinions posited in the article about the wisdom of his tactics so far in the race. There are some that say that he should have taken the time in the last few weeks, when he was in the media spotlight (from effectively clinching the Democratic nom.) to highlight himself to a public that remains somewhat unaware of him. With the recent spate of Bush attack ads, many Dem. fear that he has been initially defined to the public in a harsh (and imo, untrue) light and will have to spend a great deal of time and energy rectifying this. It is also pointed out that despite the problems Bush has been having recently, he has still been able to pull ahead in the polls, perhaps because of this.
    Others say, however, that the fact that Kerry is still somewhat neck-and-neck w/ Bush despite lack of exposure and Bushs' attack ads, points to the fact that it was best not to waste the money this early in the race...and Kerry only stands to gain ground. They also point to the fact that it is too early in the race for public opinions to gel for November, and that Bush has just wasted money.
    So some Democrats are confident...some worried, what do you think? Do you approve of Kerrys' strategies? I personally like his ads that are coming out...but is he talking about the right things? Opinions?

Oh, and sorry that I never post links, I read my News the old-fashioned way...from a paper w/ a cup of coffee...

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If you ever want to post a link, most stories in the paper are available online for at least a little while after they are published. Just do a google search for the author's name and some of the significant words from the title, then click google's 'news' button. Most times it's right there.

And as far as Kerry's strategy goes, it's too early to tell. If he wins, it was brilliant. If he loses it was a bad move. It hasn't hurt him too badly yet, but sitting around waiting for Dubya to implode from his own blunders isn't going to cut it.

3. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Kerry's strategy stinks! It's April 23rd and Bush is still president! :eek:

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I suppose Kerry is keeping his powder dry, if only out of necessity. Even when Kerry says little or nothing about them, recent events tell much of the story of a failed Bush administration, and I suspect he's simply letting it play out. Incidentally, a poll published in the LA Times today shows Kerry way ahead in California. This isn't too surprising, but I'm sure Republicans have to be disappointed. They certainly hoped the state was within reach after the recall.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I suspect Kerry is playing it right. If he waits a bit:
    • he avoids peaking too early;
    • he gets a natural "bump" at the convention, leading into the hot-and-heavy part of the campaign;
    • he lets the Iraq situation get worse;
    • he saves much of his money for later in the campaign, when he can (I suspect) make Bush look bad in the presidential debates, and then capitalize on that with counterattack ads.
    Yes, there is a danger in letting Bush "define" Kerry too much. Dukakis made that mistake. It's a tightrope act, and I trust that if it gets too bad, Kerry's handlers will come out swinging, even though it is still early.

And don't forget, although they're not under Kerry's control, MoveOn.org, The Media Fund and other 527s are out there defining Bush.

6. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

i'm kinda disappointed that all i've heard from kerry is more heat on this vietnam-era thing. i suppose it's not his fault the media is choosing to emphasize this, but there are so many more substantive issues to nail bush on.

7. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

What do you expect him to do, lead an armed insurrection?

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Does Kerry even offically have the Dem. Nomination yet?

10. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Nope, not until the last day of the convention.

By the way, whatever happened to the woman from Florida who posted here? She was a Nader supporter. I thought of her when I saw this quote from a story about Kerry:

The White House feared him (Kerry) like no other protester.

Colson, in a secret memo, revealed he had a mission to target Kerry: "Destroy the young demagogue before he becomes another Ralph Nader."​