Kerry talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stelliform, Jul 15, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In the tit-for-tat world of campaign politics, this makes a difference. In the real world, it's meaningless.

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Ummm... Bush was the PRESIDENT when he didn't read the report, Kerry was not. Think about it ;)

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

John Kerry :p

I guess he's trying to brush his own lapses under the carpet.

4. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

but kerry gave his support to go to war. without his support (and others' of course), the president wouldn't have gone to war (in theory)...

why do we make excuses for our representatives in our gov't rather than demanding the best from them??? it's amazing

6. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Ummm... this was 3 years ago...

7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

:rolleyes: If you can't see the obvious difference...

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Congress authorized the use of force, which was an abdication of their war-making powers in my opinion, but the President is the single person who chose to exercise it. Like I said, only in the warped world of politics can the two be seen as equal.

Still, Kerry needs to articulate a much clearer and more consistent position on what he voted for and why, or he's going to find himself constantly fending off accusations like this, which are only intended to muddy the water and allow Bush to wriggle out of responsibility.

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Exactly.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So is it your assertion that Bush is the better candidate because neither of them managed to read the report?

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This is a foolish argument: there is no question that it was the DUTY of BOTH men to read - and as far as possible check the accuracy of - the report. There is no more important decision than whether to go to war. Thousands have died, billions have been spent, and neither man could be bothered to do their job properly beforehand. I am saddened to see that yet again the candidates for "Leader of the Free World" are so inadequate to the task.

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

if you can't answer my simple question... :rolleyes:

i'll even reiterate: why make excuses and defend a candidate's weaknesses when you could be demanding the best from him/her? what a great democracy that has made for.

13. katchow macrumors 6502

this is something i've struggled with...i decided i would not vote for bush a long time ago for reasons that go beyond this ill-concieved war, but i'm having a hard time defending democrats who had access to the same intelligence and seemingly came to the same conclusions as the president. Don't get me wrong, i really want to believe in them...

if the only difference is that congress granted permission and the pres. is the one that acted on it...well that seems a little weak. Surely everybody knew what Bush was planning to do if authority was granted...

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well said! likewise, who read the patriot act before voting for it??? sad

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This story has not completely unfolded. We still don't know much about how the administration influenced the CIA's conclusions. We do know that quite a few qualified statements in the original version of the report were altered to remove the qualifications in favor of making Saddam's WMD programs look more certain. How did that happen? The available evidence points to administration influence. The final report on this won't come out until after the election.