Kerry's Acceptance Speech

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jul 29, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I thought it was pretty good. I'd give it a B+. He made the sale. The question is, was anybody watching?

2. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I thought the speech was excellent.

He came out and was personable and intense. Like you said, lets hope some "undecideds" were wacthing!

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I guess I'd also give it a B+...and only that low because Kerry's stiffness makes even Al Gore look like a party man. Still, for Kerry, it was a good speech. Took some nice pot-shots at Bush, Cheney, Powell and Ashcroft. :D

(So what was with the rest of those balloons still in the ceiling? They having a wedding there tomorrow night or something?)

4. macsforall macrumors newbie

I watched it and indeed I believe it was a successful speech. There are problems however. He portrays himself as a centrist Democrat who would somehow cut taxes for the middle class while reviving social security, socialize healthcare and add 40,000 active duty troops while improving upon current military benefits and balancing the budget and lowering the deficit. Does this sound like a stretch to anyone? Sure, I'm all for it if was all possible, but it just doesn't seem feasible. Nevertheless, his speech was a success, I just wanted to point out some questions I had. :)

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It was a good traditional speech. He doesn't have the ability to connect personally with people like Edwards and Clinton do, but he more than passed the test for what he needed to accomplish. I noticed he seldom looked straight into the camera, but he still felt like he was talking to a broad audience. If I had any complaint, I'd say the salute and line at the beginning was too corny by half. All in all, he set the bar very high for Bush to out do him.

Off topic, was anyone watching CNN? I heard they had a few very amusing technical foul ups at the end of the speech.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, obviously, he's going to tax the hell out of the rich. ;)

I thought it was a pretty good speech too. Perfect? No. But at least he understood all the words in it.

7. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

The Loser's acceptance speech

I watched it, and i thought it was really funny that they showed a section of stereotypical Arabs holding Kerry signs. One question: Just who does this goofball think he is? He compared himself to the Wright brothers at Kitty Hawk, JFK and the space race, and the inventors of the computer (who was that again? Oh, yeah. Al Gore). What a pathetic loser!

Daniel

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I think he believes he is the candidate with the advantage in the polls. It is a long time until November 2nd, but if you have any real insight into how you know it will end, kindly let us know. But next time leave out the part about how funny it is to see "Arabs holding Kerry signs" - it is ridiculous, ignorant, and offensive.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I found it to be much better than I had feared it might be...in fact, Kerry should be very pleased with himself...perhaps he was still not giving off the vibe of "Personal" but he was of "Presidential". I also admired the focus on what was going to be done (throughout the DNC) as opposed to attacks on the Bush Administration and GOP, and those criticisms that were levied were very respectful and relevant.

I believe Bush and the RNC will have a high standard to live up to come Sept. We shall see how they do...

One note...what is it with the fist with the thumb sticking up thing? How many Politicians use that? Edwards did, Kerry did...I remember Clinton did...just thought it was strange.

10. letterbox macrumors regular

I believe that he mentioned these people and events because he was referring the previous greatness of the United States. He was saying, in plain English, "Hey look what these great Americans have done, they've revolutioned the way things go and I think I'm the kind of person who can take my great ideas and implement them and positively effect(affect? don't debate this, ;) ) the world".

11. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

i like how he said, "lets not say God's on our side, but lets say we're on God's side." I also like how the balloon guy kept cussing. Man, I think they'll be a job opening at CNN in Boston tomorrow morning.

12. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

What great ideas? Oh, let's raise taxes and strip down the military so we can be attacked again, drive down the economy and blame it all on Bush. Gee, doesn't that sound like fun?

Daniel

13. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

You seem to have a warped sense of reality. I can see this thread headed closer towards the wasteland every time you make another post.

14. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Funny, I heard him say he wanted 40,000 new troops, more special forces, and a commitment to give our troops the most modern and up-to-date weaponry. Just how does that translate into trying to "strip down the military"? Oh, and those tax cuts were limited to those in the highest 2% of income. Must have slipped your mind in your previous post.

Let me guess, Danny, you work for the Bush campaign?

15. Bobcat37 macrumors member

Let me guess... 80% of the posters in this forum, do you work for the Kerry campaign?

Let's be fair Sayhey... I doubt he supports Bush anymore than you support Kerry.

Anyway, uh, he gave a speech today? Oh shucks, I had to work... I could have used a good speech by him to nap by... ;)

(Seriously though, was he anymore energetic than usual tonight? Maybe next election you Democrats should pick someone with a tiny bit of spunk... makes things more fun)

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i watched it

i want to like him. i really do. i want to have faith that he'll turn our country around and not pull another clinton (lots of talk, little action).

i like some of the things he said, but disliked some too.

the problem is, the parts i liked, i could see gwb saying too. the kind of stuff *everyone* says but few people do it... for instance, "create tons of jobs, improve medicare", etc etc.

however, i liked that he implied some form of universal healthcare (though i'll believe it when i see it, and it was a little too vague for me)... but "healthcare is not a privilege, it's a right" rings true with me...

i didn't like his talking up of the military for nearly half the speech... and the silly nationalistic stuff

but i do want to like him

i'd say b

17. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

John Kerry voted against the B-2, the F-117, the B-1, the F-15, the F-16, and the cruise missile- nearly every weapon that keeps our military the supreme power that it is. Think about where we would be if he had gotten his wish on every voting session in the Senate. We wouldn't have to worry about electing a president, because we would not exist as a nation. If Kerry won every vote, we would be speaking Russian, after our "cutting-edge" F-4's failed to do jack squat against the Mig's, and our 50,000 man military was taken over. With that record, how does he intend to build up the military? He thinks that he is so military minded, because he won three purple hearts. Get over it! His record in the Senate reflects exactly opposite of what he promises every time he opens his yapper. He even voted against health care! This guy can't decide where he stands on issues even from day to day. He is always sitting on the fence! Ask him if he voted for the war in Iraq, and he will give you all of his war stories, about how he got three purple hearts (woo-hoo!) and how thinks this and that should be done about the environment, and yatta yatta yatta. He always avoids the direct question!

Reporter: Where do you stand on the issue of abortion?
    Kerry: Well, you see, I was raised by my grandparents, who had a refridgerator that they knitted, by themselves. It wasn't very cold, but it taught me a valuable lesson...

Daniel

18. Bobcat37 macrumors member

Even though you guys will probably dismiss what substance Daniel said, the quoted portion above was pretty damn funny :)

Daniel- get the facts straight, life begins at conception.... but it's not considered a human until birth... or something like that... because Kerry said both... so they both must be true? *head explodes*

19. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Great speech! I've watched John Kerry since January, and this was the best I've ever seen him. I think the thing he accomplished tonight is turning me from a Bush hater to a Kerry supporter. I was going to vote for Nader until tonight, because I hated bush, and thought kerry was just some shumck. Now I'm going for Kerry, not against bush.

Home Run Kerry!

--Waluigi

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

really? that's kind of odd. which bills were those (number and name please)? and what else was in those bills? was it those specific weapons systems against which kerry voted, or were there other things in the bills that may have influenced his vote? help me, i'm confused!

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You came here looking for a fight, not debate. Little by little your true attitude is being revealed. I'm convinced now.

22. Bobcat37 macrumors member

Too lazy to do your own research zim? :p

It's true, most of those weapons systems were on one bill, but technically he still voted against the bill, and thus them (admittedly, Republicans have twisted it a bit to make you think he has voted against those weapons systems individually at different times, which I find a bit disappointing. However it is odd that whenever Republicans bring this fact up to a Kerry-spokesperson, they never rebut/explain it... Why?). You can see names and numbers here (and don't waste your breath telling me that's a biased site, I'm just using it because it has all the specific voting data)

Here's Kerry's recent voting record

http://www.congressmerge.com/online...=&city=&state=&zipcode=&plusfour=&fullvotes=1

What bothers me most about that page is half of his votes in the last 1.5 years are "Not Voting"... not doing too great of a job of representing the people of Massachusets I guess?

Edit: pseudobrit, I was talking to Democrats specifically. You've totally lost me on what is so offensive about what I said. Last time I checked, Democrats are the ones who select the Democratic candidate? I mean, even Democrats admit he is more boring than Gore, I was just asking them to pick someone more interesting next time. Sorry if that offends you, but it is true :confused:

Nice try to get me to fight with you though... I'm afraid I have no "true attitude" to reveal.

23. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Cut him some slack. Those details weren't in the TV ads.

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's odd because the F117 was never claimed before. Which leads me to think he's making it up off the top of it head, and recalling it inaccurately from these GOP talking points.

Snopes nailed down this bull**** claim a long time ago. linky

25. Bobcat37 macrumors member

Am I a mirage or something?!?! I just posted all of what you just said!

Sheesh, I'm practically helping you guys out here and you ignore me :p

Seriously though, wouldn't it help Kerry if he just explained that all of those weapons were on three bills and give us a good reason that he voted against them (the bills)? I mean really, when he gives no reason, it's easy to assume that he did it because of all the weapon's systems... how would we know if he doesn't dispute it???

Come on Kerry, I'm trying to help ya here!