Kerry's concession speech

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this yet.

He said all the right words about there still being hope for a brighter future. But I just don't feel it, and I'm not sure if he really does either. What else could he say?

Felt bad for Teresa. She looked so sad.

2. makisushi macrumors 6502

I thought it was good heart felt speech.

3. belair macrumors 6502

belair

I think it was a very honest and touching speech.
    Over here in europe I did only see the democratic convention, the debates and this, and I got to say Kerry would have made a great president.
    He made it clear again that the smarter person does not get angry but speaks for peace and tolerance.

What a great smart man. It is a shame.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

No kidding....

It was a very good speech, but I still have a lot of trouble seeing any hope for the next four years :(.

I just know Bush is going to say something like "In the end, the American people chose truth" [​IMG]

scem0

5. radhak macrumors regular

in all the bitterness that today has brought, one comment was : "Initial analyses suggested that the youth did not turn out to vote for Kerry in the large numbers expected. They went to Bruce Springsteen concerts, but they did not walk to the polling stations to vote". how true, and how serves-them-right :mad:

i can only repeat that very old adage - 'everywhere, people deserve the government they get'. pity that around half the population of the US is a going to be reluctant partner in this punishment.

6. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

There was rumor that if, and when, Kerry lost, the Ketchup Queen would be gone...It certainly could happen.

Kerry did give a good speech...His best one yet. Probably because he was actually truthful and said what he actually felt, not what the ridicously, weeping crowd wanted to hear. I commend him for that.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I am saddened, but hopefully Bush will take the hint that half of the people wanted something else. If he can begin to listen to the criticisms and admit to his mistakes to begin to fix them, it will erase most of the problem a lot of us have with him. Well... some. From what we've seen so far, that is not the case anyway.

Too bad Kerry couldn't have showed more of this in the beginning. He may have had a better chance if we knew he was actually being more sincere. Ah well, too late now.

8. kjgnola macrumors regular

Nov 3rd

Today was a sad day.

I walked around most of the day as if my dog had just died. I felt empty, I didn't know how this could have happened.

I couldn't even bring myself to watch Kerry's speech today. I didn't want to hear the right words that I knew he would speak.

I certainly couldn't bring myself to watch bush's speech. I did not want to hear him gloat as only he knows how to do. He has never once tried to reach out to the democrats since he left Texas and I certainly do not expect him to do so now. I fear that he will push farther to the right and farther into conflict with the world.

And further, as bad as the reelection of bush was there is even news from this election that is far worse. Many states had state constitutional amendments on their ballots and most if not all were passed that are very conservative and right wing. Amendments that ban different levels of choice such as parental notification of abortions in Florida and gay marriage and civil unions in 11 different states.

These amendments and bush push the country backward not forward. The next generation will be faced with enormous deficit budgets, an unimaginable national debt, judges that don't fully understand personal freedoms and choice, wars that will be more difficult to exit than Vietnam was to win, and an environment that would even make capt. hazelwood cry.

So where do we go from here? I don’t think the Baldwin doctrine is quite yet in order, but the right turn that this country is fully into at this point really scares me. Maybe the Peace Corps is the right option after all???

Edit:

Since I can't post, but I can edit. Yes, Lyle is correct. I am referring to Alec Baldwin's comment before the 2000 election that he would leave the country if Bush were elected.

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, kjgnola, it's been two days now, and I still feel the same way: hopeless. So join the club. It's a big one.

I do have to confess my ignorance, though, on one point: what's the Baldwin doctrine?

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I think he's referring to the (perhaps apocryphal) claim by Alec Baldwin that he'd leave the country if Bush was elected.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I thought the speech was very dignified. I can only imagine how painful it must have been to make, considering that only a few hours earlier, he was working on his victory speech.