key caps?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by glosterseagul, Aug 6, 2006.

1. glosterseagul macrumors regular

I'm sure I had it is OS 10 but I cant find it? Anybody?:rolleyes:

2. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Eh?

3. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

iirc, keycaps disappeared when Panther arrived. It was replaced by Keyboard Viewer in the International menu.

The Void
    Rashid for the tests!

4. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

Key caps (now it seems it is called the Character Palette) was in os9 then I'm sure it showed its face in osx. Keycaps was a picture of the keyboard- when you pressed the alt key or option key the keyboard charecters changed so if you wanted to type a ligature or ® or evenƒ´®´†´¥¨^ø....etc it would show you where they were on the keyboard and what fuction key to press.

I went to help and it said ....; but I cant seem to find Character Palette!!!!:confused:

To use the Character Palette:
    Open the application you want to type in, and place the insertion point where you want the special character or symbol to appear.
    Choose Edit > Special Characters to open the Character Palette, or click the Input menu icon in the menu bar and choose Show Character Palette.
    Choose the type of characters you want to see from the View pop-up menu at the top of the Character Palette window.
    If you don't see the View pop-up menu, click the button in the upper-right corner of the Character Palette to show the top portion of the window. Click this button again to hide the top portion of the window.

Click an item in the list on the left to see the characters that are available in each category.
    Double-click the character or symbol in the right column that you want to insert into your document.
    You can also select the character and click Insert. To see more options for each character, such as the variations in glyphs for some characters, click the Character Info triangle and then the Font Variation triangle at the bottom of the Character Palette window."
    I cant see how to do it ...."choose Show Character Palette" well it aint there!!! It must be me ; but .......aargh!!!!!

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacOS X 10.4 has the Keyboard Viewer menu palette instead of the Key Caps Control Panel.

Launch System Preferences.
    Click the International preferences pane.
    Click the Input Menu tab.
    Check the Keyboard Viewer check box.

6. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Thats ????? Man!!!

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

The Keyboard Viewer, described in the above post, is the equivalent of Key Caps--more powerful, actually, since it can float above all windows (and, amusingly, responds to every keypress as you type if it is there).

The Character Pallette mentioned earlier is completely different, and DRASTICALLY more powerful. Try learning Japanese, and you'll find it works like a basic Kanji dictionary complete with mutliple by-radical search methods, readings, alternate forms, and a display of the selected character in every font it's available in. It's a beast for people who work with Unicode or foreign scripts, and frankly I consider it the best single feature of OSX--and it's gotten subtly better with every iteration.

8. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

Just simple - Thanks!!!!!!

Perhaps it was because it was late!:rolleyes:

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If you're going to be using it often, I recommend putting it in the menu bar, so that you have access to both keyboard viewer and character palette very quickly. Like so:

[​IMG]

10. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

Sorted! Thanks - what a great site this is!:cool: