Key Maps Engineer Chris Blumenberg Leaving Apple for Uber

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 8, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Chris Blumenberg, a key Apple engineer who has long worked on Maps for iOS and OS X, is leaving the company to take a position with Uber, according to a report by The Information. Blumenberg is the latest of a number of departures from Apple's Maps team, which has been suffering from internal politics.

Blumenberg is a 14-year veteran of Apple, initially working on Safari for OS X and later iOS. He famously built a version of Maps for iOS in just a few weeks in late 2006 so that Steve Jobs could demo it at the iPhone introduction in January 2007. For the last six years, Blumenberg has managed the Maps Apps & Frameworks group, overseeing a team of at least 40 employees handling Apple's Maps apps on iOS and OS X. From his LinkedIn profile:
    Apple's issues with its Maps team have reportedly slowed the company's work on that initiative, so much so that there were virtually no mentions of Maps at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote last month. Apple reportedly has a number of iOS Maps improvements in the works, including transit directions and improved points of interest, but it is unclear whether they will be ready in time for the public release of iOS 8 later this year or if they will need to be held for a later update.

Article Link: Key Maps Engineer Chris Blumenberg Leaving Apple for Uber

2. macrumors 6502a

diddl14

So do we now have to worry when using Uber services of ending up at totally different places?

3. macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

probably a good thing. Maps was horrible at the start of it

4. macrumors 601

Traverse

I don't know anything about him, but maybe Apple can get some new leadership to help improve the maps application.

It has always worked for me, but I know many here have had problems.

5. macrumors 601

gotluck

6. macrumors newbie

Apple Made a mistake

Dropping google was a huge mistake. This is one case where Apple needs to give up and bring google map data back into the fold.

Apple builds the best interfaces, but they don't have the data to back those interfaces in this case. Just admit google is better this one time.

7. macrumors regular

Lapidus

It doesn't seem like it's his fault that Apple Maps is what it is today. Looks more like he's out because Apple isn't doing what he think it should do.

8. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

9. macrumors 6502a

Corrode

10. macrumors 6502a

Sigh, here we go again. Lest you remember, coincidentally we did not have turn by turn navigation built into the Google Maps app until AFTER Apple Maps came out.

11. macrumors 6502

I wonder if this means we will see some maps updates in the second half of the iOS 8 preview with the hardware launch. I assume if he is leaving his team, he wouldn't do so until after a major project finished as not to leave in the middle of it. Or maybe I'm just an optimist :p

12. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Apple the money and talent to make maps just as good or better than google

13. keysofanxiety, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

macrumors 68020

keysofanxiety

They dropped Google because Google didn't put things like turn by turn navigation in, when they did for the Android version. Also Google wanted their logo plastered over the maps app, which Apple didn't. They put Apple in a tough spot and didn't really give them an option.

So Apple made their own, and then Google brought out their own iOS map application which had all the features Apple requested in the first place.

I'd provide sources but thought this was common knowledge on MacRumours.

EDIT: as mentioned by other posters, Google also wanted people's location data. As I'd argue Apple are one of the most transparent and pro-privacy tech companies existing today, it's quite obvious why they were in a position where they had to decline. Google played the cartel card, and Apple wasn't having it.

14. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Apple maps is updated every single day

15. macrumors member

I've never had a problem with Apple Maps. Yes, Google has better map data, but I've never gotten lost using Apple Maps.

16. macrumors 68020

You think Apple will bring back Google maps after they spent a billion acquiring that mapping technology company? Not going to happen.

Anyways whats the point, you can download Google maps from the app store.

17. ATC
    macrumors 6502a

That's what I read into that too. He, like so many of us, is throwing in the towel. It was a huge mistake to dump Google data from the Maps app.

18. macrumors G5

Rogifan

What are you basing that on? Not everyone leaving a company is doing so because they're unhappy. Perhaps he just wanted something different after 14 years at Apple. Perhaps Uber made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

19. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I gotten lost using Google and Apple maps

20. macrumors 6502

a.roden

Am I the only one that finds Apple's Maps to be fine? :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

You're not alone I use Apple Maps exclusive

22. macrumors 68020

keysofanxiety

Certainly not, but you're on MacRumours, which for some reason is now a home for Apple haters. :D

23. macrumors 68000

And whose fault was that, Not Google.

24. macrumors 601

Plutonius

I thought everyone wanted an Uber job :D.

25. macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's in the app store. What's stopping you?

Me? I'm glad Apple told Google "no" when it wanted tracking data for advertising purposes. I'm much happier having that as an app-store option rather than the default.

So go get it and stop trying to force it on me.