keyboard backlight.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by maradong, Apr 21, 2003.

1. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Do you think the powerbook 12'' will come out in the near or less near future with the backlight system, same as in the 17'' pb? that would be great.
    TIA.

2. filipp macrumors regular

No, I dont think so. Maybe the upcoming 15 inch powerbook.

3. maradong thread starter macrumors 65816

maradong

hm...
    but if the pb 15'' get s it,m why shouldn t they put it into the 12'' pb also ?
    i m not that much interested in the auto adjust of the screen, but more in the keyboard, as i m often typing somewhere where the light sources are not the best... would be interesting I think.

4. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i think they should put the backlighted keyboard in all computers as of now. and even in the ipod on the buttons around the scroll wheel. i won't need it, but it's just a nother cool thing to have:p

5. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Don't you think that if they could have put it in the 12 they would have done so when i came out with the 17? There is a reason for it not being available in both. And it is not just because apple doesn't want it

6. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

maybe apple wanted to test it out and see how the technology advanced, and plus maybe it takes more time to build that in than it is. the 17 inch pb's did have a delay. that delay counld have been for a number of things.

7. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Don't forget how much stuff they had to cram into the 12" powerbook. There really isn't that much space in the powerbook for ambient light sensors and a backlit system.

Not to mention the fact that the backlight serves as one thing that differentiates the two machines.

8. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I think the 17" PB should be the only model with the backlight keyboard. Apple needs to make each model of their machines slightly different (other than processor speeds). The backlight keyboard should be the 17" PB's "Signature Feature", and each other PB should include some sort of "Signature Feature" that makes it unique.

9. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

but then people will rack thier minds over the desicion of what they want and/or need more.

10. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

That's the point!

Buying a computer is like buying a car. Some models have different features (heated seats, moonroof, Bose stereo, etc..). Every car and model is different. You have to pick the model you can afford and adjust to the features.

By diversifying the product lines, Apple makes it easier for people to see what machine they can afford. A backlight keyboard is not a feature that people "need". All you need is a regular keyboard. If you can afford the 17" model (and "need" the screen realestate), then the backlight keyboard is an added bonus.

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I don't know ab out anyone else but since that woudl defiantely suck ipod power I'm agianst backlight keys in the ipod as a potential feature. Plus it only have 5 buttons i mena after using it for a few days you shoudl be able to operate in the near dark just fine. The backlight on the screen is good but it shoudl definaetly stop there

12. maradong thread starter macrumors 65816

maradong

well it sounds logical that there might not be enough room to put the keyboard backlight feature in the 12 pb :mad:
    but hey, we cant get everything.

13. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

they would make a lot of money from noctournal people if they put that feature in the desktop keyboards. i would buy one.:)

14. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i STILL haven't seen a decent picture of the backlit keyboard...

anyone got one?

15. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i found this in the movie about the 12 and 17 inch powerbooks. im not sure if it's good or not, but here it is.

Attached Files:

16. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

that just looks like the glow from the screen to me

17. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

it might be.

at the palisades store, me and my brother were looking for the sensors and trying to cover them up, but the guy came over and said it's not worth wasting you time because he said that he already tried it, and couldn't get it. my uncle might get one, so i can't wait until he decides:)