Keyboard Cleaning tips.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rickay726, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Rickay726 macrumors 6502

Dec 29, 2005
    New Jersey
    Hey guys whats up? , i was just wondering if there are any special ways you guys clean your keyboards,like to get the dirt and grime and dust that falls into those hard to reach spaces. i tryed using a Q-tip but im stilling having problems getting to some of the clear edges of my key board.

any tips or slightest bit of help would be fantastic.
  2. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2005
    Ugh, Apple's clear and white keyboards look great, but they are hard to keep clean. I take mine apart from time to time to clean it. I recommend having plenty of time so that you aren't rushed. I just carefully and gently pry the keys off (they just snap). I usually soak the keys in a bowl of water or clean thoroughly with alcohol. Also, with the keys off, you can get at the mess underneath the keys much easier. Again, I use alcohol.

Let the keys sit overnight to dry. You may want to flip them and let them sit another night to ensure they are dry before poping them back on the keyboard.

If your keyboard is really dirty, you can actually take it apart further. I don't recommend this unless you have lots of patience. The keyboard has screws that hold the plastic and white portions together. Just be careful that the little rubber "springs" don't go flying as you take it apart.

If you have patience, your dirty keyboard can be as good as new.
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
  4. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
  5. evangelion-01 macrumors regular

Jul 6, 2006
    alcohol + cotton balls.... it removed the blue ink stain on one of my letters.... no need to buy useless cleaning stuff.
  6. Passante macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    on the sofa
  7. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    Giving it a good shake over the balcony normally gets the fluff off.

Or is that what I do for the rug? :confused: :p
  8. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2003
    don't know if you were joking, but you can do that...