Keyboard colors

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by petvas, Aug 4, 2013.

1. macrumors 68040

petvas

Hi all,

I have a question about the color of the keyboard in iOS 7. I don't understand the logic that makes the keyboard color change.
    When I am at the home screen and if I want to bring up the keyboard by doing a search, the keyboard is dark grey. When I am in any of the new 1st party apps, the keyboard is white. In the AppStore it seems to be dark gray again. What is the logic?
    I like the dark keyboard much better and I would love to have it as standard...
    Can someone explain the logic behind it? Thanks.

2. macrumors 601

Armen

if you're seeing anything other than a grey keyboard that specific app is not updated for iOS 7 yet. At least this seems to be the case with every 3rd party app I've used.

3. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

i know what hes talking about. like in messages app, its light grey with white keys. and in other apps, i recall seeing it darker....almost black. but i forget which apps that was.

4. thread starter macrumors 68040

petvas

I am not talking about 3rd party apps. I am talking about 1st party apps and the OS itself. Have a look here:
    The first screenshot shows the search dialog in iOS 7. Look at the keyboard.

Now, have a look at the second screenshot. I am creating a new note. Look at the keyboard. The question is simple: What is the logic behind the color change? Why not always have the same keyboard color?

Attached Files:

5. macrumors 601

Armen

It must be some new design logic just like the dock changing colors according to background or icon text.

6. thread starter macrumors 68040

petvas

It must be the transparency I guess, but still I think it is too much. I will try disabling the transparency just to test what happens.

7. thread starter macrumors 68040

petvas

I disabled transparency and I still get two different colors, so it is not just an effect, depending on the background color:

Attached Files:

8. macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

This is not new to iOS 7. There was always a black keyboard in previous iOS. Black with white keys, instead of the standard gray keyboard. It only showed up at very specific times, though I don't recall exactly when.

I greatly preferred the black keyboard but unfortunately there is no option outside of jailbreaking.

9. thread starter macrumors 68040

petvas

It is new to iOS 7. I have never seen a black keyboard in iOS 6. Do you jailbreak your device?

10. macrumors 65816

The keyboard background is a dark transparent in the App Store in iOS 6. When you type a password for a purchase.

11. macrumors 68000

virginblue4

No, it's not new to iOS 7. the keyboard that you typed your password in when purchasing apps was always black compared to the usual grey keyboard.

12. thread starter macrumors 68040

petvas

Well, I don't remember it like that. In iOS 7 it seems a big difference compared to the previous version. I prefer the darker keyboard and I don't understand why we have both.

13. macrumors 6502

I think it works like this...

White keys are used when within an app window (disregard 3rd party for now).

Black keys are used when no app window exists.

Hope that makes sense.

14. thread starter macrumors 68040

petvas

If it is like you say, what is the point really? I mean, it doesn't bother me. I just don't see the added value in having two different keyboard colors.

15. macrumors 603

Tyler23

Aesthetics?

Personally, I think the white keyboard would look terrible on the home screen search function, and black would look awful in messages.

Seems perfect the way it is.

16. macrumors 6502a

It's not new to iOS 7, in past iOS's there were some native apps that used the black keyboard.

17. macrumors 6502a

My guess would be it has to do with the overall aesthetic of the app. Messages, mail, etc are largely white, so having a black keyboard would look terrible - especially with transparency enabled.

Also, a black keyboard has been an option available to developers since iOS 5.

18. macrumors 68000

virginblue4

The reason we have both if because the different coloured keyboard suit different apps. For example, the dark keyboard in the notes app would just look stupid.

Here are the grey and black keyboards from iOS 6 and below:

Attached Files:

19. macrumors 603

Whatever is behind the keyboard affects its color. In the first image of Spotlight, your wallpaper is dark making the keyboard dark as well. In the second picture of the Notes app, the background is white making the keyboard white / light as well.

----------

You can see that the keyboard in the App Store picture is tinted and transparent. The one on the left isn't transparent.

20. macrumors P6

If that's the difference between the two pre-iOS 7 then it's not really close to what it's like in iOS 7 now where it's not just the background color of the keyboard that changes, but the keys and their lables too, which is a much bigger change/difference than before.

21. macrumors 68000

virginblue4

While I agree it is a bigger difference in iOS 7, the point is, there were still two different keyboards in iOS 6 as there are in iOS 7, regardless of the degree of change.

22. macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

It is not new. The iPad has a dark keyboard in iOS 6.

[​IMG]

23. macrumors regular

Developers choose what color the keyboard is. It's always been this way. Apple just modified the skin on iOS 7.

24. macrumors 6502a

I don't think that's actually true, the dark keyboard in Spotlight is dark even with a white wallpaper.

Attached Files:

25. macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

No, a dark version of the keyboard is not new, and it has nothing to do with jailbreaking.

In previous iOS versions, it seemed to happen most when typing somewhere that wasn't in a fixed view. For example, maybe a UIAlertView popup asking you to enter your password.