Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
Can anyone tell me what cover has worked best for them in terms of comfort (i.e. you can get used to it easily, type fast) and utility (covers keyboard properly)?

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I am extremely pleased with my Moshi Clearguard MB on my MBA 13". My wife uses the Moshi ClearGuard 11 for her MBA 11". We both use one continuously ever since I spilled some coffee on my last MBA's keyboard, which killed it dead. The Moshi keyboard protector very quickly becomes something you don't notice when typing.

Note that the links are for US keyboard layouts. They have slightly different models for Euro keyboard layouts.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
I am extremely pleased with my Moshi Clearguard MB on my MBA 13". My wife uses the Moshi ClearGuard 11 for her MBA 11". We both use one continuously ever since I spilled some coffee on my last MBA's keyboard, which killed it dead. The Moshi keyboard protector very quickly becomes something you don't notice when typing.

Note that the links are for US keyboard layouts. They have slightly different models for Euro keyboard layouts.

Thank you!
The only concern I have now is keeping the keyboard cover on when closing the MBA lid. Does the cover touch the screen or rub against it? Do you remove the cover after using it and then close the MBA?

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I keep the Moshi protector on all the time.

I do get irritated by keyboard marks on the screen even without the Moshi protector, so I also use a RadTech ScreenSavrz cover to prevent them. So I cannot comment if the keyboard marks are better/worse with the Moshi.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
I keep the Moshi protector on all the time.

I do get irritated by keyboard marks on the screen even without the Moshi protector, so I also use a RadTech ScreenSavrz cover to prevent them. So I cannot comment if the keyboard marks are better/worse with the Moshi.

I see. I know new MBAs in boxes come with a "keyboard protector" (in quotations because it's actually meant for shipping purposes). Do you think that could do the job too instead of buying a separate cover?

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
My 2013 MBA didn't come with any screen cloth. I do recall my 2008 and 2010 MBAs coming with some kind of small screen cloth, but it didn't cover the whole screen. I think it was meant for periodic cleaning rather than stay there when the MBA is closed?

I never used it on my 2008 and it got visible keyboard marks on the screen. I did use it often on my 2010 but it still got some less-visible marks.

hindmost

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Keyboard Covers

It's like taking a shower with a raincoat on.

Yeah, I know what you're thinkin'.....but it also is a truism for keyboard covers.;)

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
It's like taking a shower with a raincoat on.

Yeah, I know what you're thinkin'.....but it also is a truism for keyboard covers.;)

yeah, and that thing you are alluding to is just as apt. because it's one of those things that looking back you're far more likely to wish you HAD used one than ever look back thinking you wish you hadn't.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
I just found out about iKlear. I guess that, when used in combination with the regular microfiber cloth, would really help keep the MBA clean.

johnjey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA

Sorry to spoil your story, but this skin SUCKS immensely and is a PURE waste of $ as i could barely type anything correctly with having it ON the keyboard :mad::mad::mad:

funkyronster

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2013
The truth about keyboard covers .......

If you live anything like a normal life, you will eventually spill liquid on your keyboard. I've been on the keyboard since the mid 80's, and lost count of the number I've spilled. Of course it wasn't a problem in desktop days, but nowadays I have a $1500 MBP, and it's a member of the family. It goes where I go, it does what I do.

My last Samsung laptop (win) served me well for 4 years, including twice across the Sahara, but my wife got it in the end with a well aimed glass of champagne.

When I bought my MBP, I vowed it would never happen again. After research, the Moshi Clearguard is the best. Within weeks, a big splash of beer came my way ..... a few months later it was half a glass of wine. Smug satisfaction, as opposed to blind panic.

Last year I was on a ferry to an island in Thailand and a gust of wind flipped off the Moshi and over the side! I felt naked! I knew Murphy was just lurking around the corner, and established a strict 10 yard exclusion zone around my Mac, until my new cover arrived by airmail at great expense.

Sure enough, as soon as it arrived almost, INCOMING!

This last few days I've been in 40 degrees plus weather, and the Mac was hot, so hot that I had the same thought as others, that maybe the cover restricted the airflow. The definitive answer is that it doesn't - just Google it.

Turns out that my fan was clogged with the dirt of 2 years of DJ'ing round the world. I soon fixed that.

And in the process I decided to clean the Moshi - it was so dirty I could barely see the keys! With the cover off, after 2 years, the keyboard on my Macbook looks like brand new - which can only be good for resale one day.

Yes it does alter the typing action, but I never had it any other way, so now typing on the naked keyboard really feels weird - and noisy! I prefer typing with the cover on. Purists and wordsmiths have a point - each to their own.

I have had at least 4 spillages that could have killed my Mac, and the pure satisfaction of just peeling off the skin and running it under the tap, and then carrying on as if nothing happens, not only is the most smugly satisfying feeling in the world, but is also quite a show-off if your friends are around, especially if they spilled on the keyboard!!

There is really no argument in the real world. A Moshi (or similar) can save your bacon, time after time, it's not just the damage and cost, it's just the sheer inconvenience.

----------

Sorry to spoil your story, but this skin SUCKS immensely and is a PURE waste of $ as i could barely type anything correctly with having it ON the keyboard :mad::mad::mad:

Wrong! It's a matter of taste and technique, but it certainly doesn't suck. See my longer post.

MT0227

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Never was a big fan of keyboard covers...it just puts all the dirt that much closer to the glass display when you close your laptop. Add opening and closing movement to the mix, and you now run the risk of smearing/scratching your screen. Very similar to the way trapped dirt under your phone or laptop case/skin still cause minor wear if not maintained and cleaned periodically.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
Wrong! It's a matter of taste and technique, but it certainly doesn't suck. See my longer post.

Thank you for the post! In your extensive experience, does the Moshi rub against the screen of your MacBook at all when you close the lid? If it does, is it something that can be cleaned with the microfiber cloth? Or do you take it off when closing the MacBook?

----------

Never was a big fan of keyboard covers...it just puts all the dirt that much closer to the glass display when you close your laptop. Add opening and closing movement to the mix, and you now run the risk of smearing/scratching your screen. Very similar to the way trapped dirt under your phone or laptop case/skin still cause minor wear if not maintained and cleaned periodically.

This is the thing holding me from using a keyboard cover.

johnjey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA
If you live anything like a normal life, you will eventually spill liquid on your keyboard. I've been on the keyboard since the mid 80's, and lost count of the number I've spilled. Of course it wasn't a problem in desktop days, but nowadays I have a $1500 MBP, and it's a member of the family. It goes where I go, it does what I do.

My last Samsung laptop (win) served me well for 4 years, including twice across the Sahara, but my wife got it in the end with a well aimed glass of champagne.

When I bought my MBP, I vowed it would never happen again. After research, the Moshi Clearguard is the best. Within weeks, a big splash of beer came my way ..... a few months later it was half a glass of wine. Smug satisfaction, as opposed to blind panic.

Last year I was on a ferry to an island in Thailand and a gust of wind flipped off the Moshi and over the side! I felt naked! I knew Murphy was just lurking around the corner, and established a strict 10 yard exclusion zone around my Mac, until my new cover arrived by airmail at great expense.

Sure enough, as soon as it arrived almost, INCOMING!

This last few days I've been in 40 degrees plus weather, and the Mac was hot, so hot that I had the same thought as others, that maybe the cover restricted the airflow. The definitive answer is that it doesn't - just Google it.

Turns out that my fan was clogged with the dirt of 2 years of DJ'ing round the world. I soon fixed that.

And in the process I decided to clean the Moshi - it was so dirty I could barely see the keys! With the cover off, after 2 years, the keyboard on my Macbook looks like brand new - which can only be good for resale one day.

Yes it does alter the typing action, but I never had it any other way, so now typing on the naked keyboard really feels weird - and noisy! I prefer typing with the cover on. Purists and wordsmiths have a point - each to their own.

I have had at least 4 spillages that could have killed my Mac, and the pure satisfaction of just peeling off the skin and running it under the tap, and then carrying on as if nothing happens, not only is the most smugly satisfying feeling in the world, but is also quite a show-off if your friends are around, especially if they spilled on the keyboard!!

There is really no argument in the real world. A Moshi (or similar) can save your bacon, time after time, it's not just the damage and cost, it's just the sheer inconvenience.

----------

Sounds like a HUGE MOSHI fanboy ....but the BIGGEST QUESTION of them all that STILL REMAINS UNANSWERED is: CAn you FOR REAL(ACTUALLY) type with that TRANSPARENT so-called AWESOME moshi cover on your keyboard? Ultimately this is the bottom line for me !

What i bought was:UPPERCASE Ultra Thin Clear Soft TPU Keyboard Cover Skin for Macbook Air 11 11.6 Inch

After reading about it on forums here --> it is a CERTIFIED TYPING DISASTER !!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FL8PHM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
I've been using the Moshi ones for a long time now, on my 2010 MBA and now the 2011. They work well and can be cleaned, because they do get dirty after awhile. I'm always eating stuff around my laptop and having the cover definitely helps in not getting crap stuck in the keys, although I really do like typing and the look of the laptop without the cover.

With the Moshi you can still get dirty marks on the screen with the laptop closed.

This is the exact reason why I use a cover, keep the keys clean if you have eaten anything.

hindmost

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Macbook Air Keyboard Cover

yeah, and that thing you are alluding to is just as apt. because it's one of those things that looking back you're far more likely to wish you HAD used one than ever look back thinking you wish you hadn't.

===========

Touché. That is true!

johnjey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA
Sounds like a HUGE MOSHI fanboy ....but the BIGGEST QUESTION of them all that STILL REMAINS UNANSWERED is: CAn you FOR REAL(ACTUALLY) type with that TRANSPARENT so-called AWESOME moshi cover on your keyboard? Ultimately this is the bottom line for me !

What i bought was:UPPERCASE Ultra Thin Clear Soft TPU Keyboard Cover Skin for Macbook Air 11 11.6 Inch

After reading about it on forums here --> it is a CERTIFIED TYPING DISASTER !!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FL8PHM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nobody seems to wonder about this true horrific story posted above..!

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
What I like best about keyboard covers is not having to use one. But that's because I trust Apple to design and build a top notch computer. As thin and light as my 13" MBA is, Apples engineers were smart enough to leave ample space between the keyboard and display. Even when carried in its sleeve within a loaded backpack, there's never any contact between keys and screen.

Finally as a matter of routine habit, I keep my hands clean. In doing so I have no issues with stains, nor do the keys get shiny. You'd be surprised at what one can accomplish with a water dampened microfiber cloth when used regularly. It saves me from wasting my money on smoke & mirrors marketing of snake oils like iKlear.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I use one of those matte clear tpu cover from ebay or amazon. I hate to use one but you get use to it. It slightly affects sound quality but not much. I use one because I do a lot of programming on my mac and it keeps the keyboard clean when I work long hours. I also started using one because the keys started looking nasty and oily after two months of use. I say if you use your macbook air and wants to keep the keyboard clean then it's a good idea otherwise you don't really need it. It also does not affect the venting of the macbook air. Typing on it takes getting used to it but after a while, I actually type faster when the cover is on.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
What I like best about keyboard covers is not having to use one. But that's because I trust Apple to design and build a top notch computer. As thin and light as my 13" MBA is, Apples engineers were smart enough to leave ample space between the keyboard and display. Even when carried in its sleeve within a loaded backpack, there's never any contact between keys and screen.

Finally as a matter of routine habit, I keep my hands clean. In doing so I have no issues with stains, nor do the keys get shiny. You'd be surprised at what one can accomplish with a water dampened microfiber cloth when used regularly. It saves me from wasting my money on smoke & mirrors marketing of snake oils like iKlear.

I concur. I wash my hands before using the Air (when possible, or use a hand sanitizer) and take a quick second to wipe down the keyboard with a mico-fiber cloth after use. It takes just a few seconds and keeps the Airs keyboard looking like new. I don't eat or drink when using the computer either so that helps keep the possibility of liquid spills to a minimum.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I use one of those matte clear tpu cover from ebay or amazon. I hate to use one but you get use to it. It slightly affects sound quality but not much. I use one because I do a lot of programming on my mac and it keeps the keyboard clean when I work long hours. I also started using one because the keys started looking nasty and oily after two months of use. I say if you use your macbook air and wants to keep the keyboard clean then it's a good idea otherwise you don't really need it. It also does not affect the venting of the macbook air. Typing on it takes getting used to it but after a while, I actually type faster when the cover is on.

I agree. It was cheap and does the job. I'm so used to the feel of the keyboard cover that typing actually feels weird without it. I love how my keyboard is completely protected and my keys won't get that nasty shiny effect after a few months. Great for resale value.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
I've always hated keyboard covers with a passion until I bought a used MBA that came with a brand new Moshi cover. I gave it a chance and eventually I got used to it. The way I type tends to wear out keyboards so it prevents that too. The specific type of material the Moshi is made out of is a night and day difference to the crappy silicone ones on ebay. It has a non-stick texture that ensures your fingers dont stick to it. I feel like typing is "weird" now on my laptop if I don't have it on. Typing is also just as fast with it on or off.

I did a test yesterday and it makes no difference on the temp of the laptop. I had my MBA in clamshell mode driving 2 thunderbolt displays and iStat monitoring it. There is basically no difference between having the lid closed or opened or having a keyboard cover on or not.

The cover does affect the speakers a little. It seems like high pitched sounds are blocked but the actual volume is not affected in any measurable form.

I say give it a try and just return it if you don't like it. It really does take some getting used to but might be worth it if you can overcome the different feel.

fark

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2013
I agree. It was cheap and does the job. I'm so used to the feel of the keyboard cover that typing actually feels weird without it. I love how my keyboard is completely protected and my keys won't get that nasty shiny effect after a few months. Great for resale value.
Please - you have no subjective information that shows non-shiny keys results in a higher resale value. :rolleyes:

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I've always hated keyboard covers with a passion until I bought a used MBA that came with a brand new Moshi cover. I gave it a chance and eventually I got used to it. The way I type tends to wear out keyboards so it prevents that too. The specific type of material the Moshi is made out of is a night and day difference to the crappy silicone ones on ebay. It has a non-stick texture that ensures your fingers dont stick to it. I feel like typing is "weird" now on my laptop if I don't have it on. Typing is also just as fast with it on or off.

I did a test yesterday and it makes no difference on the temp of the laptop. I had my MBA in clamshell mode driving 2 thunderbolt displays and iStat monitoring it. There is basically no difference between having the lid closed or opened or having a keyboard cover on or not.

The cover does affect the speakers a little. It seems like high pitched sounds are blocked but the actual volume is not affected in any measurable form.

I say give it a try and just return it if you don't like it. It really does take some getting used to but might be worth it if you can overcome the different feel.

Agree on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.