Keyboard doesn't work in Finder - Strange

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jruc4871, Apr 25, 2006.

1. jruc4871 macrumors regular

Bizarre problem:

(Running 10.4.6 on an eMac btw)

As I type this in a Firefox window, I am unable to type ANYTHING in Finder. I created a new folder and tried to rename it - nothing's happening. Typing won't work in Finder Search, or Folder Info either. Nor folders i create on the Desktop.

I tried closing Finder and re-opening. No luck. I can type in every other program.

What gives? :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If it's just Finder then I'd start by removing any theme changing hacks or apps where necessary. Then, I'd find a file named com.apple.finder.plist and drag it to the Desktop before restarting. :)

3. jruc4871 thread starter macrumors regular

hey, belated thanks for your help, it worked.

I gather that this was my Finder preferences file. What exactly happens when you drag to the desktop and restart? Does OS X see a missing Finder preferences file and replace upon reboot?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yep, correct on all counts. Dragging it to the Desktop means that if this doesn't solve the problem, you can drag it back to where you found it, restart, and keep all your Finder preferences. It's a good habit to get into for removing preference files. Of course, most people don't make many changes to their Finder anyway though, so it's a bit of a non-issue with respect to this particular preference file. :)

5. Amigalander macrumors regular

3 year old bump... but this is happening to me about every 2 weeks. Keyboard works here and everywhere else, but keys don't work in Finder. I'm running the latest OS, 10.5.7. A reboot always fixes it without having to trash any plists. Any ideas?