keyboard driving me nuts

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by naomirand, Sep 22, 2006.

1. naomirand macrumors newbie

I have keyboard problems. I've tried buying new keyboards, switching them round. I work on an iMac and a G4. Each has trouble with the keyboards. I just bought a brand new Apple keyboard. That is a problem too. On one machine the keyboard spacing bar works oddly. On another the keyboard types extra letters. Has anyone seen anything like this before?
    Help!

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

No offense or anything, but it could just be you. Maybe you need to get used to the keyboard.

3. naomirand thread starter macrumors newbie

keyboard

I only wish I had to get used to the keyboard. I've been working on these keyboards for a while and the problem started happening recently. I'm a professional writer so basically all I do is type. Thus I'm plenty aware of
    keyboard problems. Again, if anyone has ever experienced keyboard issues, and these are with more than one keyboard in various configurations, please let me know what you did to make things work.
    Thanks.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I love pro-bono troubleshooting for strangers on the net with little or no relevant technical information, but... ;)

What are the specific computer models?

What is the OS version?

What are the specific keyboards?

How do they connect? If they are wireless, do they use built-in bluetooth or some kind of dongle?

What, if any, software do you have that modifies system behavior?

Do you have Assistive Devices support enabled? If so, what is turned on?

What are your settings in the Keyboards preference pane?

5. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

My old Pro keyboard (black one with 15 F keys) got really screwy ---- it would hold onto a letter especially S and keep typing it. ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss...............

I bought a new Apple Keyboard (The open white one with 16 F keys) and it's been fine, it's just a dust magnet.

6. naomirand thread starter macrumors newbie

keyboard problems

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this. I'm running OS 10.4.7
    The problem occurs with both my iMac G4 and my G4 desktop. I'm not sure what other software would interfere, I don't run a lot of software on my computers. There's Iview Media Pro and Microsoft Office. I'm not using a wireless keyboard.

7. Sawtoothdude macrumors regular

The only thing i can suggest is going to the control panel and goto the keyboard&mouse tab and tinker with options. Hope this is of some help.

8. mommy2j macrumors newbie

I was having major issues with my keyboard as well. Most of the keys on the right hand side of the keyboard were not working including the number pad on the far right. And sometimes the "+" key would just get stuck and the entire keyboard would just freeze. I tried everything. Nothing spilled onto the keyboard or anything. Finally I decided to call Apple since I do have a warranty. I had a choice of either getting one through the mail or going to the store myself. I decided to go to the Apple store with the malfuntioning keyboard. They checked it out and saw that what I said was indeed true and just gave me a replacement keyboard. The guy also did mention that the keyboards are not made to last forever and sometimes things like that do happen. Since then everything has been a-ok. HTH!