Keyboard flag-icons gone in Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by annk, May 10, 2005.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Well, though I said I'd wait for the first update, I couldn't stand looking at the Tiger box and not install it - so I backed everything up and did and Archive and Install. Everything (except Popcorn, but I knew about that) works fine, but I've noticed one weird thing - the little flag icons that used to show me which keyboard I was working with, are gone. There's a space where the flag used to be, and if I click on the space, I can choose my keyboard, but I can't see what keyboard is chosen! Anyone experience this, and know what to do to get the keyboard icons back? I've gone into International preferences and chosen "Show input menu in menu bar", but nothing happens.

I go back and forth between 3 layouts, and it's nice to see where I am - I miss my flags.

Another thing - since I did an archive and install, I understood that my Panther set-up would be stored somewhere in a file called Previous Systems, or something like that. Since things are working well, I want to get rid of it (after copying it, just to be sure :eek: ), but I can't find it anywhere! Where is it?? Spotlight is no help...

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ann, the flag things is weird. No suggestions beyond repairing permissions from me on that one. The Previous Systems folder is in the root of your hard disk. If you double click the Macintosh HD on the desktop, it should be in that root folder. Inside it should be one or more folders with names like "Previous System 1" -- the highest number is the last time you did this; if you only ever upgraded once, there will only be one such folder. Anyway, that's the folder you're looking for.

3. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Thanks - repairing permissions plus a restart solved it - now I have flags AND words telling me which keyboard lay-out is active.

I had tried to repair permissions before I posted, but apparently the restart was also necessary.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, glad it worked! I assumed it wouldn't have! :rolleyes: I think the restart is necessary because these things are loaded into memory at boot and stay there. But sometimes, log-in/log-out is enough.