Keyboard / keystroke logging

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jbrown, Sep 5, 2004.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

As the hackers get ever more sophisticated - I was wondering....

...how can you find out if there is keystroke logging software hidden on your computer - is there any software that detects it. I have LittleSnitch - would this see it? It seems to faithfully tell me if any software is trying to reach the outside - but some have obscure names that I don't recognize ( like 'host' to name one )

Any thoughts?

cheers

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

do you have a reason to think that someone would put a keystroke logger on your Mac? have you recently angered a 1337 |-|4(|<3|2,|-? if so, kiss your Mac good-bye, teh pwnz j00 d00d!! :D j/k. :p

but the best way to know if you've got a keylogger on your Mac is to know all the keyloggers out there. ;)

and if a 'hacker' was targeting your, the least of your worries would be a keystroke logger. but changing your log-in password regularly is a good idea.

3. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

No reason, just read an article about hidden logging spyware, and wondering how to dectect if you've been infected - newish to puters, so the first bit of your post is chinese to me :D

4. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Well, if they are logging the keystrokes, then changing the password would do no good as they'd have your new password.

And, actually, keystroke loggers are an excellent way to increase your access, so it should be one of your worries.

5. montom macrumors member

Laptop manufacturers installing keystroke loggers?

Looks like keystroke loggers already come hardwired into newer laptops:

http://infowars.com/articles/bb/gov_caught_installing_keystroke_loggers.htm

From the article:

From the keyghost.com website:

I haven't opened up my powerbook yet to take a look, but I wouldn't put it past Apple to do something like this. You can't slip a nano between them and the feds.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Most of the articles talking about hidden logging software are Windows-specific since they're a lot easier to infect than your Mac.

There are keystroke loggers for the Mac, but IIRC, they're dependent on someone having physical access to your Mac (or knowing your admin password) so I wouldn't worry too much.

7. chattes111@gmai macrumors newbie

Hi,

There are keystroke loggers for the Mac, but IIRC, they're dependent on someone having physical access to your Mac (or knowing your admin password) so I wouldn't worry too much.[/QUOTE]

I now have good locks on my apartment door, but have to send my laptop to Apple for service. Having constantly found keystroke loggers, both hardware and software, on my windows and mac computers when my former's hired criminals were getting into my homes, plus having had the OSs constantly tampered with, I'm worried about how to remove a keystroke logger which would probably be put in when the mac is returned to me. Other things that are shipped by DHL have been tampered with before, so I have no reason to think I'll necessarily luck out and get an honest delivery person when the laptop is sent back. I'm not worried about the OS in this case as I intend to reinstalll, but would like to know if there's any way I could remove any hardware keystroke logger that is put in the laptop before I get it back.

Would anyone be able to give me instructions?

TYIA!

Cat