Keyboard Layouts

Discussion in 'Community' started by Billicus, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I know most of you all probably use QWERTY Keyboards, ones typically shipped with Macintosh Keyboards. But, I've been wondering what's the point behind having & learning a different keyboard layout? :confused: There are at least a couple other English Keyboard Layouts - I have attached pictures of each of these, The DVORAK & the PLUM Keyboards? Anybody use these keyboards? Do you like them? Do you find yourself typing in the QWERTY format or do you catch on and find it difficult to type in the QWERTY format after a time? Thoughts & impressions?

Attached Files:

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Almost everyone uses qwerty because it is standard, so since [almost] everyone knows it, they don't want to bother learning something else. Unfortunately, qwerty was designed back in the days of the typewriter, and it was designed to slow the typist down because if they typed too quickly the typewriter would jam up. Dvorak was designed to be as easy to use as possible. So initially, since it's unfamiliar, typing speed in dvorak will be slower, but once you learn it, it will probably be faster than typing in qwerty.

I don't know about plum though.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I haven't used either, but I remember some woman with an Apple IIc who was the world's fastest typist at 180 words per minute using the Dvorak layout.

The qwerty layout was originally meant to slow down typists who were faster than the mechanism and jammed several hammers together at the platen of a typewriter.

Even though I'm interested in efficiency, I've never bothered to learn any other layout.

4. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I want to learn how to use one of those one-handed "chord" keyboards.

...but I most likely never will.

5. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

Find the need to type with one hand a lot? :p

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I never heard of "PLUM" I may have to try that. Looks much more efficient than "QWERTY". I go back and forth on DVORAK, I use it sometimes, but most Apple KB don't like it when you move the keys, the "f" and "j" keys only work in their "QWERTY" position. Also, its a little hard to do a lot of posting when you have to keep looking at the KB to find the right keys.

TEG

7. mrdeep macrumors member

I use dvorak as my primary keyboard layout, I started on january 30th, and I would say it was no longer slowing me down within about 2 weeks. I can still type querty when I have to, but it takes a couple of minutes for me to readjust.

The fact that OS X has a dvorak + command querty made the switch really easy. When you hold down the command key, it reverts back to querty so your keyboard shortcuts are still the same. The only annoying part is that certain applicatios ignore it (MS Office, and Adobe Photoshop), and emacs is kind of a pain since the shortcuts are ctrl, not cmd.

Overall, I'd say that it does require less finger movement to type, writing code is initally a total pain, but I'm all set with the symbols ({, }, <, >, /, =, +, ?, -) now.

One of the best undocumented benefits of dvorak is that it deters people from using your computer. If this is a problem, hitting command-option-spacebar switches your keyboard layout based on whatever you have in the menu. Also, the keyboard viewer is a godsend, but kill it whenever someone may be around and you're typing your password.

8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I was thinking about giving Dvorak a try...I've heard, though, that a lot of the research Dvorak and his cohorts did demonstrating the greater efficiency of the Dvorak model was biased at best and falsified at worst.

9. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

to be honest, I didn't know there was a difference. :)

10. neut macrumors 68000

neut

i just want one that goes a-z. no guessing. everything in its right place.

peace.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

What is it is (it's) ;) right place?

You want one that's alphabetic? Try an early Commodore PET. That was a disaster.

12. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

It doesn't matter which layout is the "best".

Qwerty is "good enough" and it is what most everyone uses so that is what we will use until something beyond keyboards comes out.

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

A similar argument could be made about Windows.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Exactly. I'm glad someone else was first to post that. :D

15. mrdeep macrumors member

Its a more apt comparison between windows / linux rather than windows / osx.

Linux requires some work to adjust to & figure out how to do stuff, but once that is done you are (supposedly) supposed to be able to get more done in less time than you could in windows.

Dvorak requires some work to adjust to & figure out how to do stuff, but once that is done you are (supposedly) supposed to be able get to get more done in less time than you could with querty.

The reason why OS X really doesn't fit as much is because there is much less adjusting & figuring out required. (note that this is my opinnion as someone with experience using all 3 as desktops for long periods of time)

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Did you really mean to post in this thread? :confused:

17. mrdeep macrumors member

Hm, i guess it didn't come across properly as I assumed that the argument was pro windows and anti-mac (or something). Feel free to disregard that post.

*tries to quickly get back on topic*

Dvorak will never be the standard because I can't get u & h keys for my powerbook (or apple bluetooth keyboard) with little nubs on them. Yeah, thats it.

18. neut macrumors 68000

neut

maybe if it was i would actually spell right. ;)

i'm a bit QWERTY dyslexic. :D

peace.

19. jtkellertx macrumors member

jtkellertx

I think PLUM is a joke, notice it says "READONTHIS" or Read On This

20. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I can't wait till keyboards are Projection Keyboards, so they can be changed to different formats with a few simple setting changes. Then I can switch to dvorak, and not have to worry about going to QWERTY keyboards all the time.

scem0

21. Billicus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Billicus

It's not a joke, it's a real keyboard I saw advertised in a recent issue of a Macintosh magazine. I'm not crazy...;)

22. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I use Dvorak. It was grueling work the first few days but now I'm quite fine with it. Decided to use it bc someone on macrumors mentioned it in their sig.

Get a clear iskin. They have the nubbies. I switched the keys on my ibook and then got the iskin. Works great.

Worse than that, Office doesn't just ignore it, it bungles it. Some commands won't work whether you use the dvorak or qwerty layout. And classic apps revert to qwerty.

Sweet!!!! I'll have to tell my family this so they won't be stuck again while logging in!

23. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I have to say this...

I type with 5 fingers.

Every sentence.

I never use my right middle finger.

I know the spots on the keyboard I just use mostly 4-5 fingers...

Do I type slow?

Probably.

Am I about to do it? yes.

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

congratulations...? :p

25. heliosnorf macrumors newbie

Switching PowerBook Keyboard to dvorak

This site shows how to switch your PowerBook keyboards to dvorak. Might be useful for some of you...