Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
Does anyone know if they have addressed the issue of marks on the LCD screen caused by the keyboard on the TiBooks?
I've been reading around the 'net and alot of people seem to have marks on the LCD screen.

I'm still waiting to receive my 800MHz, but until then i'm trying to learn the most i can so that the TiBook can last me for a few years.

Thanks.
:D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
There are items out to prevent this. Computer Loft gave me a piece of leather to put over the keyboard for anytime I close it. That prevents the marks from appearing on the screen.

I know from previous PowerBooks, that the marks can be buffed out with a very soft cloth (the kind you use to polish your vehicle, and can be found at both auto parts stores and Target). OtherWorldComputing sells the pads to put over the keyboard, so you can get one within a few days. If the place you are purchasing your new TiBook doesn't give you one, I would order up one as soon as you can.

I think it's smart for sellers to toss the item in when you buy a TiBook, since that is a known issue, and probably won't be worked out until the next revision, if ever. I have seen it since the first bronze keyboard PowerBooks came out, and don't expect it to go away any time soon.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
They tossed in the smaller of the two. I would rather have the smaller one, so that it doesn't cover up the speakers. Either way, that will keep the marks from your screen. Just make sure that you wipe all the schmoots from it before using it. Otherwise, they will be either on the laptop case, or screen until you do. A few whacks against your leg should do the trick. :D

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
What do you mean AlphaTech, about the speakers? Is this a concern? Should I get the smaller one? .. I was considering the big one because i figured alot of grime could build up on the trackpad too... don't you think?

Help me out as i'm a newbie on my TiBook..and i haven't received it yet..

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
In my experience the only grime that gets on the screen is from the edges of a few keys on the keyboard. The trackpad doesn't dirty my screen at all, and it doesn't really get dirty anyway because my finger is constantly running over it and "cleaning" it. It's slightly recessed into the enclosure anyway, so I don't think it touches the screen much.

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
i think the leather helps with the oils.. paper just sucks up the oil and spreads it out..

leather doesn't retain oil on it ... :rolleyes: i think

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by sphereboy
What do you mean AlphaTech, about the speakers? Is this a concern? Should I get the smaller one? .. I was considering the big one because i figured alot of grime could build up on the trackpad too... don't you think?

Help me out as i'm a newbie on my TiBook..and i haven't received it yet..

The small one was free, so I took it. I haven't seen the larger one, but the small one fits perfectly (overlaps the keyboard just enough so that you don't need an exact fit). Once you make sure there is nothing extra on the protector to fall into the holes over the speaker you should be fine. I noticed small leather particles (leftovers from the processing) that transferred to my screen the first time I used it. Since then, I made sure to get all the junk off of it, and not it leaves nothing on the screen.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by alex_ant
In my experience the only grime that gets on the screen is from the edges of a few keys on the keyboard.

Think about this for a second... how much of the screen does the keyboard match up with?? It would only go to a section of the screen. If you look at how the hinges work, you would see that they provide enough space to keep the keys from touching the screen. As you go towards the latch, the space between the screen and the keys decreases, hence the markings.

The trackpad doesn't dirty my screen at all, and it doesn't really get dirty anyway because my finger is constantly running over it and "cleaning" it. It's slightly recessed into the enclosure anyway, so I don't think it touches the screen much.

The reason the trackpad will never mark your screen is because it is recessed (has always been that way). The button is large enough, and gives enough to prevent it from visibly marking the screen as well.

My opinion of your intelligence level has yet to change alex... I don't think it can drop much lower at this point. :rolleyes:

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
im not sure if they are available for the Tipowerbooks but i bought a new keyboard for my lombard (g3 powerbook) and it doesnt mark the screen like the apple keyboard did. ill post some pics when the mod is done (although im sure you have all seen similiar things before).

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
im not sure if they are available for the Tipowerbooks but i bought a new keyboard for my lombard (g3 powerbook) and it doesnt mark the screen like the apple keyboard did. ill post some pics when the mod is done (although im sure you have all seen similiar things before).

They are available at OWC Large Protector | Small Protector

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^*^*^*^*

I think I will be safer with the larger one. It can't really hurt to protect the entire screen.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by sphereboy

They are available at OWC

um. those are just screen protectors. something you place over the keyboard when you close your laptop. i was talking about a new keyboard. i prefer to have things work properly rather than have some odd work around like a screen protector. if that means dumping apple's keyboard then so be it.

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
I see. Post the pics so I can see the mod. I'm interested in seeing how it comes out.

I"m not sure i'll be making any modifications anytime soon. I'm a newbie mac owner and would like to get my feet wet first and then start swimming.
:D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon

um. those are just screen protectors. something you place over the keyboard when you close your laptop. i was talking about a new keyboard. i prefer to have things work properly rather than have some odd work around like a screen protector. if that means dumping apple's keyboard then so be it.

Unfortunately, you would void any remaining warranty if you do that. If it is out of warranty, and you don't have any AppleCare remaining, then go for it. I would like to know who is selling keyboards to go into PowerBooks. I have never heard of any, and Apple typically keeps a fairly tight reign on stuff like that. They also are very specific as to what they allow user's to install on systems and not void the warranty.

The screen protector (either sized version) will not void the warranty, and they are pretty damned cheap. From my own experience, the screen protector that I have does a good job of keeping marks from the screen. The Rev. A Tibook didn't have nearly as many marks on the screen as the previous PowerBooks did. I don't know if anything changed on the Rev. B, and I have been using the protector on my new Rev. C since day one.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
although true about the warranty, im 100% certain if you ever had a problem you could put the old keyboard back in and apple would never know.

but i really shouldnt be refering to it as a new keyboard. its not really a new keyboard, its just replacement buttons for the keyboard. you pop off all the buttons and snap some new ones in place. new buttons i should have said. but these buttons are slightly (unnoticably so) shallower, so they do not contact the lcd when the screen is closed. the keyboard is the same, just new buttons. everyone just refers to them as keyboard replacements so thats what i called it, but i think i gave the impression i was ripping the whole keyboard out.

let me see if i can find the link...
digitalhipps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.