Keyboard marks on my screen!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by G5orbust, Aug 22, 2002.

1. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

on my powerbook, i got marks on the screen caused by the keyboard. :mad:
    they wont come out w/ rubbing. Does anyone have a way to get rid of these ugly marks on my screen?

Thanks.

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Of all the problems with Powerbooks, I have NEVER heard of this one. Did the keyboard accidently pop out of it's place, causing it to be elevated above where it normally goes? If so, when you closed the lid on the PB, you probably damaged the LCD.

I can't guarantee that it will go away after a while, but it might. When did you notice this? Is this an older Powerbook?

3. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

its actually my friend's PB, but i tohught people would answer if i said it was mine;) . But i knowabout it. i believe it is an old 400 Mhz "mercury" pb. he said that he found keyboard marks on his screen and he was wondering how to get rid of em w/o damaging the screen. he asked me if apple would help him, but i said taht apple would say its his fault and refuse to fix it under his applecare warranty.

On how he got the marks, i think he was carrying it in a carry bag and the PB got knocked around, causing the sensative screen to come in contact with the keys.

4. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

It's actually a common problem...there are many products out there that protect the screen. Check out the apple support site...you'll find some threads on this topic.

It happens because the pb is so thin that the keyboard can touch the screen...this isn't a problem with ibooks.

The simplest preventive measure...put a piece of paper on top of the keyboard.

As for cleaning it...take a look at apples support pages. If screen cleaners can't get the marks out...:(

5. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I dontt hink he has tried screen cleaners. Ill tell him next time i talk to him. if taht doesnt work.... theres always a new mac waiting for him at our local apple store :D

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

>It's actually a common problem...

Well, I haven't seen anything like that personally or on the internet.

But bumping the Ti around like that will probably do it.

My portable is just an iBook, and I still protect the keyboard (when the iBook is put away for a while) with one of the original wrappings for it. :p

7. dnte42 macrumors regular

Huh...I think I've seen it on just about any recent Apple laptop that didn't have a keyboard guard.

8. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

its an incredibly common problem and has been around since the first g3 powerbook. nearly every mac vendor sells screen protectors of various sorts (from latex to leather). there are also a number of threads here at MR discussing the problem (nearly everytime someone mentions buying a powerbook someone else recommends buying a screen protector.)

make sure you pick a screen cleaner that is safe for use on lcds (apple's knowledge base should help with that). and consider buying a screen protector.

for the g3 powerbooks new keyboard keys that are slightly shallower are sold so that the keys do not contact the lcd.

its odd this problem has been around for about 4 or 5 years and apple has never fixed it. but all the vendors selling keyboards and screen protectors are probably happy to sell a piece of plastic for $30 and call it a powerbook screen protector :)

9. Soma_Addict macrumors member

i got it

i actually had this problem when i got my new powerbook. i got an original rev a titanium when they were first introduced and the keyboard was marking the screen. some other people were commenting on it at the time and a couple of companies were releasing products to protect the screen from the keyboard. i cant remember the name of the company i got it from but i ordered(off the internet) a peice of ultra suede that fits exactly over the tibooks keyboard. i have been using this every time i put my computer in its case and it works perfectly. the marks disappeared within a week or two. there was no permantent damage done.

the ultra suede keyboard protecter only cost $10 dollars. you could just go to a fabric store and buy a peice that fits over your keyboard and you wont have any problems anymore.

good luck

10. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

This happens with my TiBook (except the marks do come off). The lid doesn't even need to have pressure applied to it - the marks just seem to happen. Try window cleaner and a soft cotton cloth. Lay a sheet of paper down on the keyboard before you close the lid - nothing thick like fabric, because anything thick that accidentally folds could damage the screen.

11. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

tehehe.. i have the same problem with my pbg4...

so none of you guys know of companies that sell these porducts?

---> the funny thing is that i had my pbg4 sent to apple for repairs, as some you may know, and they not only fixed the problems i was having internally (needed a new logic board) they also replaced the top and bottom panels cause they were scrratched AND they cleaned off the screen.. :D ..

i wonder what they use.. kekeke...

-f

12. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

If you're about to buy an iBook or tiMac reading of everyone's trouble, understand that Apple puts a li'l foamy sheet between keyboard and screen in the box.

DON'T THROW THAT OUT!!!

I've kept mine betwixt screen and keys to prevent this very problem whilst moving my iBook around. Works wonders.

13. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

14. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

For those of you who ask why the marks appear, it's the oils and grime on your fingers that is transfered to the keyboard...

Another simple solution is to wear cloth gloves every time you type :p

Or, just get a dollar's worth of fabric at wall mart, and stitch up the edges...

15. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Or my really cheap way...use a sheet of paper...:eek::p:D

16. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Uhh thanks for the input, but i want options on how to get the marks OFF, not how to prevent them.

17. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

well comments on that have been mixed in a bit, but you are right we havent focused on that.

some cleaning solution (dont use windex) should help take it off (i use solution made for cleaning white boards). someone quoted an apple knowledge base article that describes other solutions.

also by just getting one of the screen guards the marks will slowly disappear on their own.

while you are cleaning the screen you might also try cleaning the keys.

18. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Here's an AppleCare Knowledge Base article on cleaning the screen marks.

Thanks for making me search for this information -- I also have keyboard marks to eliminate!

19. Macette macrumors 6502

this thing happens on my white white ibook. i just use an anti-static cloth and rub pretty hard. though not too hard, obviously.

20. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

thanks for all the on topic info. ;)

ill tell my friend right away about this thread. he may decide to put in his two cents about it or add more info about his problem. his user name is rootuser.

21. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

This is not limited to TiBooks; I have this problem on my iBook as well. As others have said, try a commercial product to clean the screen. Personally, I use those wipes that are sold at the Apple Store. The wipes are a two step process: a wet step and a dry step. Works like a charm.

22. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i have had this happen on my rev C TiBook. i just use a piece of paper now. and i think that there would be no marks on the screen if i didn't carry it around in my backpack all the time. (i don't even have a laptop bag!:eek: :eek: :D )

all i did was rub with a lint free cloth dampened with water. i did have to rub with a decent amount of pressure, but it's all ok now.:D

you can also do the same thing on the keyboard to get all that grese off... just make sure you don't try any of this with your Mac turned on...