Keyboard Marks on Screen

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ITASOR, Jul 24, 2005.

1. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I've seen some nasty pictures of keyboard marks on Apple laptop screens. I'll be getting my iBook soon I hope and I'm wondering what I should do to prevent the marks. I mean I already know what I need, but I'm seeking advice.

Is an iSkin made for this, or only to keep garbage out of the keyboard? Will it protect my screen because of the fact that I can wash it once a week?

If I get a screensavRz, can I use it with the iSkin or will it be too thick? I don't want pressure on the screen or to cause my lid to warp/bend.

Suggestions will be appreciated!

Ryan

2. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

iSkin, as far as I know, only protects the keyboard from crumbs and such. It really wouldn't protect the screen from marks as the marks come from impressions made by the keys. Also, on my PB the track-pad has left its markings on the screen.

edit: For a while I used that foam thingy that comes with the PB as the only screen/keyboard protector. But, marks still showed up. I think that you wold probably be happy with screensavRz or something similar.

3. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yeah I've always used the foam thing, but once it got melted a little bit to my iBook around the area where "ibook" is printed on the computer. I stopped and just used a piece of fabric.

I really like the iSkin, but I don't want to have to take it off EVERYTIME I want to close my 'book. I think the screen protector AND iSkin would be too thick.

Does anyone else use both an iSkin and screensavRz?

Are the marks left on the screen just like marks, or are they permanent dents in?

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

isn't their a cloth like cover that goes over the keyboard when not in use... its gray and has powerbook G4 written on it.... :confused:

5. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

That would be the RadTech ScreensaveRz, sold separately. :)

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I don't use a screen protector for my Powerbook, and have never had problems. I don't think that Apple notebook users should have to buy extra accessories to prevent something that should never happen in the first place. If I ever get marks on my screen from my keyboard, I'm calling Apple immediately. That kind of thing is unacceptable on such an expensive piece of machinery.

7. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yeah I never had any problems either. Maybe some people let their keyboard get extremely dirty or something.
    :confused:

Now that I think of it, the iSkin will make it worse, because it will make the keys CLOSER to the display...correct?

8. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Well I don't know if it will make it worse, but it will make the keys closer to the screen. The iSkin is made out of a rubber-like material, right? So it's soft? If so, at least when it's touching the screen, the iSkin will give any not stick right into it :eek:

9. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Radtech ScreensaveRs works like a champ for my powerbook. I highly recommend this product!!!!

10. spacefreak4 macrumors member

Well I have an iSkin for me iPod, and when I take it off, there are many noticeable smudge marks from the rubber, on the back and even on the front. This only happens because rubber is sticky and will leave marks like that. They are easily wiped away, but they can be annoying. I would think that if you used an iSkin for your keyboard, the oils from your hand would get on it, and would then make the screen even more smudged up (am I inventing words? smudged?) However, I don't have any laptop like that, so I'm just guessing.

11. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Hmm good point! I think I'm confused because I thought the marks were made by dirt that comes off the keyboard, not the keys actually "imprinting" into the screen.....?

12. Preacher85 macrumors member

Preacher85

It all just dirt...

I get outline marks of the keyboard every so often on my screen. They are just dust outlines. I've been thinking of getting a Radtech ScreensavRz for it. I dunno, the marks are easily removed with a quick rub from the edge of my t-shirt. :cool:

Also, I've never heard of the keys leaving actual permanent marks on the screen.

Hope this helps. :)

13. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I use the iSkin rubber keyboard protector, the iKlear Chamois overlay to protect against keyboard marks on the screen, and one of those clear plastic screen covers to protect the screen (which has already paid for itself when my desk lamp hit the screen and made a permanent mark on the protector leaving my screen unmarked).

I agree with the ealier post that this is shouldn't happen. Why doesn't Apple just fix it so that the keyboard doesn't leave marks on the screen? Just lowering the depth of the keyboard a millimeter or two doesn't seem like it should be hard to do.

Oh, and I also got those Wrist Rugs to protect the palm area of the laptop, and several PowerBook Tatoo Protection Skins to cover outside and prevent skuffs and scratches.

It's my first PowerBook so I guess I'm a bit paranoid about getting dents, scuffs, and scratches.

14. colocolo macrumors 6502

You are right. I get marks on my iBook screen only because i use an iSkin. All the oil from your hands gets stuck there, and eventually some of it finds its way to the screen. I do, however, accept it as the lesser evil; it's much easier for me to clean the screen than to clean the keys and remove the hairs that (every day at a higher rate!) fall between them.

When i take my iSkin off, it looks like a brand new keyboard!

15. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Used to have this problem with my old TiBook so I purchased a keyboard cover for it, but with the Aluminum Powerbook I have never had any problem at all. I think they designed them so there is space between the keyboard and the screen when you close it.

16. MacHarne macrumors 6502

For what it's worth, when I purchased my 14" iBook G3 a while ago, the previous owner used one of those iSkin silicone keyboard protectors and left it on when the iBook was closed. The iSkin protector keeps dirt and crumbs out of the keyboard, yes, but it also absorbs oils from finger contact. When I first had the iBook, there were several smears of oil on the screen in the shape of the keys, particularly in the center of the LCD. It took a while to remove those (using only slightly, slightly moist cloths).

I would recommend a Radtech PowerSleeve. They wonderfully do the job of removing direct contact between keyboard & LCD.

17. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

One word: iKlear

I've invested in RadTech's products and they're great. The only problem is that they quickly become a pain in the butt. Having to deal with a piece of fabric every time you open/close your laptop takes away some of the functionality of a laptop. I want to pull out my notebook and use it, not deal with a piece of fabric.

Back to the iKlear point, if you keep your laptop clean (once every couple of weeks) you won't ever get permanent marks on your screen. Period.

18. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

I've got an iBook 12" and have absolutely no problems with the keyboard marking the screen.

I thought that the issue was only with the powerbook line?

19. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Yeah, the iSkin I sold you is definitely a no-no. It's really intended to be put on when you're using the keyboard, and removed when you're done. Since things tend to stick to the material, you wouldn't want a fine grain of sand to stick to it, and then rub on your screen when the ibook is closed, and in your bag. The reason they get the marks, is because of pressure put on the screen when you put the notebook in a bag, also, when you are walking the movement, causes the keys to rub against the screen. This problem has been fixed for the most part on all apple notebooks, but it's still an issue to look out for. No one likes a scuffed up LCD...

20. wide macrumors 6502a

hmm...

so everything has a downside:

if you put cloth on your keyboard before you close the laptop, you need to take off the cloth...

if you use iSkin on your keyboard, you have to deal with hard-to-remove smudges on your screen...

if you don't use anything at all, your keyboard gets dirty and hairy (and it makes more noise when you type)...

for me, I use my laptop in class. right now everyone gets ****ed off b/c my 600m's keyboard is noisy. actually i don't know if it's noisy, but i just type hard. still, i never have problems with the screen getting dirty on my Dell.

does the iSkin actually dampen the typing noise?

21. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yes, it makes it so there's almost NO noise when typing. It's really cool and I love typing on the iSkin because it feels very nice.

Just worried about getting marks. I think if I just use the iSkin and wash it once a week I should be good to go.

22. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

That thing is made more from accessories than Powerbook!

23. wide macrumors 6502a

thanks, very cool. i will order it soon.

:( .. won't ship till august...

24. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Why not until August? You can buy-it-now on ebay for $19.50 shipped in your choice of green, blue, or clear.

25. wide macrumors 6502a

i checked ebay last night, and they didn't have any clear ones (i don't really like the colors on the white ibook). also, i want to be sure it will be compatible with my ibook (who knows, the keyboard might change).

just out of curiosity, how do you clean the iSkin? i have had terrible experiences cleaning ipod skins etc, because pretty much everything will stick to the wet rubber and then it's virtually impossible to get clean again (well, unless you wash it again and let it dry on its own, but that takes to long lol)