Keyboard: MB vs. MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by briantology, Jan 17, 2007.

1. briantology macrumors 6502

Simple question, which keyboard style do you like better: The MacBooks or MacBook Pros? Why?

2. dbam987 macrumors regular

MacBook Keyboard

I'd vote for the MacBook keyboard. Its more rigid, while the MBP's keys feel too soft (for me at least). It boils down to being a personal preference. If you can, test out both at the Apple store near you to figure out which is best.

I do wish Apple installed the MB keyboard in MBP's...

A perk with the MBP keyboard is that the keys can light up in low-light conditions.

Edit: I just realized your post was over a year ago... lol :p

3. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Ha, how did you manage to find this post may I ask? :D Were you searching for something?

I prefer the MacBook Pro keyboard because (just as I'm typing this right now) it's just feels so soft and expensive and it's so quiet as well; I can really type fast on it.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

odd that this thread is over a year old. and no one responded?

but anyways, the macbook style is much better imo. glad they seem to be putting it everywhere imo. the MBP just needs a case redesign.

5. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

It is personal preference mind...

1. The MacBook Pro looks and feels plastic and tacky.
    2. The MacBook Pro design sucks because it stuffs a 12 inch notebook keyboard into a 15 or 17 inch design. Have you ever looked at a MacBook Pro. The "deck" is the size of a bloody aircraft carrier - yet its got this poxy little keyboard! Apple! Use the space god-dammed space!

Errr.. hmmmm..

3. The MacBook keyboard (and the new metal keyboard - which is very similar) are nice and comfortable to use (unlike that abomination that the MacBook pro has been lumbered with - I've used Dell's with better keyboards for pity's sake!)

Bottom line. When I was selecting a notebook I went for the MacBook over the MacBook Pro. Not because of price, but because the MacBook Pro design is let down by one critical component - the keyboard.

On a brighter note, with the launch of the MBA we know what keyboard the MBP is going to be sporting soon. There is still going to be a reasonable amount of wasted space that could have been used to provide full size cursor keys and a numeric keypad, but it will still be far better than the pile of dung that the poor MBP has been forced to put up with for far too long.

6. dbam987 macrumors regular

I was searching on Google for info on if another person has tried replacing the MBP keyboard with the MB keyboard and stumbled upon this thread. :D

7. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah i like the MB keyboard better, maybe is because i just got used to it from the beginning, i also have the aluminum external keyboard which is pretty much the same of my MB, so it probably just grew into me i love it

8. andy.c macrumors member

9. dbam987 macrumors regular

Looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and just go to the Apple store and pick up either the wireless blue tooth one or the wired one. I'm leaning to the wired one so that I can use it on both my MBP and desktop. Plus I get the number pad part too.

10. dbam987 macrumors regular

Is the aluminum external keyboard compatible with Microsoft Windows XP/Vista?

11. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

I think the Macbook keyboard is excellent. It's one of the the best out there.

12. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Having used both my MacBook's keyboard and my dad's MacBook Pro keyboard I can say that the MacBook's keyboard is far better and it appears that Apple is going in that direction of that style of keyboard so I wouldn't be surprised to see it on a MacBook Pro very soon.

13. dbam987 macrumors regular

Yeah, I just wish they did it 7 months ago when I bought my MBP.

Does the aluminum keyboard support windows xp/vista?

14. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I prefer the MBP, keyboard but then again I have preferred it from back in the old G4 days. Yes you can use the metal keyboard in windows XP.

15. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

16. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

MB/MBA keyboard for sure. The MBP keyboard just seems dated and clunky (excluding the backlit part of course).

17. dan7592 macrumors regular

I love the macbook keyboard. That's why it is so much more comfortable to use.

18. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I love the feel of the Macbook Pro's keyboard. It just never felt right using the Macbook's keyboard to me.

19. theman macrumors 6502a

MBP all the way... but i haven't used the other extensively... i also am not the fastest typer.

20. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Got the new AL keyboard with my new 24" iMac a few months back. It was a pleasure to get the same keyboard in my Black 2.2 Macbook. I love the feel of the keyboards. A big plus over the clunky Macbook Pro keyboard I tried.

21. mirffy macrumors member

I'm in the market for either an MB, MBA, or MBP. My girlfriend has a Macbook, and whenever I "get to" use it, I enjoy typing on it. Having tried the MacBook Pro's keyboard I couldn't agree more.
    I'm not really satisfied with the MacBook (or the Air) so seeing as I'm not in dire need of a notebook I'll just wait until the MBP gest the Air's keyboard. It's got nice tactile feedback, feels a LOT better than the MBP's current keyboard, and even has backlighting. So it's just a matter of time (or at least, so I hope!).

22. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Having owned two MBPs now, I definitely prefer the keyboard on the MB.

And I ended up replacing the keyboard on my MP with the new Al keyboard.

The original white "inverted dish" keyboard that came with my MP? Worst.....keyboard.....ever.

23. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

although I own a mbp, I personally vote mb. It all really depends though, I am extremely comfortable on my mbp's keyboard, whereas it might take some time to get used to if I suddenly switched to the mb's.