keyboard & mouse as 360 controller?

Discussion in 'Games' started by plinkoman, Aug 9, 2006.

1. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

I've recently been contemplating getting a 360 so I can play halo 2, halo 3, and some other games i've been wanting, but I cannot stand using dual analogue sticks to control a fps. I know the 360 has usb ports, but can a keyboard and mouse actually be used in game instead of the controller?

2. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i know it can be used it online RPG's like Final Fantasy XXX(i have no idea what number they're on now.) not sure bout Halo.

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I know there are a lot of people who want Microsoft to add keyboard and mouse options to the Xbox 360. I am one of the ones who doesn't want it to happen. Not that I don't think they are better for some games, I have my 360 in the living room and would not want to have a keyboard and mouse in the living room for the system. I really don't know how I would play it comfortably, certainly not on the coffee-table or on the couch. And I can't imagine how much space we would need if 4 of us were to play at the same time.

It just doesn't seem practical to use a keyboard and mouse with a console system, in my opinion.

One that note, you can at least connect a USB keyboard to the 360 to help when writing messages to people, makes it a ton quicker.

4. plinkoman thread starter macrumors 65816

plinkoman

whoa there, i'm talking about having it there as an alternative to a controller, not a replacement. Just because you don't find it necessary, doesn't mean the option shouldn't be available for others.

In any case, I'm gathering from your post that the answer to my question is no?

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I remember reading in some game magazine that they tried connecting a mouse to the 360 and nothing happened.

As much as I don't like the idea, it really wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft added the ability to the system.

6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

XI :)

7. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

w00t. Final Fantasy XXX.

Boobies galore. :cool:

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Support is probably already there, as wireless keybaords etc are all supported on dash, so it's just a matter of a developer choosing to use it.
    So fat they haven't.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

those chubby developers.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL!!!! I meant FAR not FAT but in retrospect both are right :D :D :D :D

11. Cygnus311 macrumors regular

Google "SmartJoy Frag"

Sorry can not post a link from work.

12. Symtex macrumors 6502a

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I want a keyboard and mouse for Halo 3. If they don't provide me with one then oh well, Microsoft and Bungie won't be getting my money.

14. Symtex macrumors 6502a

what a suprise coming from a nintendo fanboy. it's funny how you are extremly open to nintendo's controller for game like Metroid Prime but yet you don't show any open mind to MS Product.

15. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Unnecessary flaming Symtex. Lets keep this OT and not let it get personal like so many other gaming threads.

IIRC around time of release MS clearly stated that there would be no mouse and keyboard support for the 360. At the time I thought that was a huge shame, but now I'm not too bothered. With keyboard and mouse support, online FPS suddenly aren't an even playing field.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

To be honest it doesnt bother me, I am perfectly adept at using my controller for FPS and your not playing against PC users so what difference does it make, there's no unfair advantage.

This may change when ShadowRun comes out, we'll wait and see.

The only game that sometimes makes me scream is G.R.A.W where I zoom rather than dive, but thats in the heat of battle when chaos is around :D

Also games like BFME2 have been very well customised to the controller.

I love my 360 and with Live it's been one of the best console experiences I've ever had. As much fun and enjoyment as all the other consoles I've owned over the last 15-20 years.

Yes there are problems, far more annoying than lack of mouse support, such as dash freezes when you press the button in game when a notification comes up etc.... aghhhhh..... but other than that I'm very happy.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

rofflechops. so much rofflechops. Nintendo fanboy. Can someone else tell him what console I've been playing the pants off recently? oh yea, the PS1. What media centre I'm using? oh that'll be the Xbox Media Centre. :rolleyes: :D :D

I want Nintendo's new control system because from what I've heard it's fantastic for FPS games. I never liked dual analogues for consoles, never. not on the Cube, the Xbox, the 360. whatever. horrible clunky, less precise than a mouse. no ta.

If you mean the original Metroid Prime, that worked because it wasn't an FPS. it never required precise aiming (which is where dual analogues fails) in the heat of battles. it's like someone sat FPS down and said "how can we make first person game with a gun work effortlessly on a console". if there was no lock on I would have complained like mad at Retro. but they got it right.

18. plinkoman thread starter macrumors 65816

plinkoman

yea, I know, why would I ever want to spend $400 for a great gaming machine when I could just build a good pc for three times as much :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I found it Here. Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it's only xbox1 and ps2 at the moment, but I probably wont be buying a 360 until about a year from now (I just wanted a heads up), so it's not unreasonable to assume there will be a 360 compatible one by then.

It's not the multi-player aspect the bothers me; it's just that is so difficult to use. The game should be hard, not the interface; i'm no noob to gaming, but I just can't use dual analogue interfaces with acceptable results. I've mastered playing metroid prime because the interface is natural and easy to use; I don't care if you can't do as much with it, I can't do as much with dual analogues because it's so damn hard. I wish controls would go back to how they were on n64, like goldeneye. left analogue controlled movement and camera, and the c buttons controlled strafing. you could do as much with that as any other interface but it was easy to control.

at least the wii ought to be real nice for fps.

19. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Um, how is the current setup any different? Pushing it left is the same as hitting the left button. Pushing it up is the same as hitting the up button. If you can handle analogue/digi, why not dual-analogue? :confused:

20. plinkoman thread starter macrumors 65816

plinkoman

did you ever play goldeneye?

goldeneye - left = camera and movement; right = strafing

dual-analogue - left = movement; right = camera

the difference isn't the buttons instead of a stick; it's the integrated camera and movement controls with separate controls for strafing.

21. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I played PD a bit, if that counts. And I hated it. It just felt so stiff and constrained

22. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I seriously dount M$ will implement this in the future for the reason that people can't use a keyboard and mouse on there sofa or coffee table and thats where most people have there 360's hooked up......

The best thing you can do is just get used to playing the games with the controllers, it'll soon become easy,

SHadoW

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Or not. I've been playing Halo on the Xbox for a good long time. About a year ago I got it for my Mac. Down to the keyboard/mouse alone I can complete the Mac version on any difficulty, on the Xbox I can't do it on the peak difficulty (Legendary? I forget).

And I worry for 360/Ps3 HL2 owners who try and play against PC HL2 players. If they can all play together then thats it for console players.

24. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

i thought it was on XII. (then going to XIII later this year or next year.)

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Here comes the fanboy stereotyping again. :rolleyes: Raggedjimmi bought an XBox for Halo, remember?

And Jimmi and I both regard Metroid Prime as an adventure game, not an FPS. I hate FPS with dual analog sticks- that's why I play all my FPS on PC. Metroid Prime does not use dual analog sticks, and feels like a first-person platformer adventure.