Keyboard/mouse intermitent power failure

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Diabolo, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Diabolo macrumors newbie

I have a Mac G4 running Jaguar.

I have been having some problems where my mouse and keyboard power off. After un-plugging and plugging them into the USB port, they power-up again. This happens quite often.

this machine had been working flawlessly until i upgraded RAM memory a couple of weeks ago. But even after the upgrade, the machine was working ok.

could the RAM (Bought at Compusa) be the problem? Should I had bought RAM at Apple?

Any ideas?

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

are you using a usb hub? that is the first thing i would check.

if you are using a hub is it powered hub?
    if you have a powered hub but not using it try it out.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Original question: I have an IBM mouse that I'm using with no special driver, and I occasionally have that problem--the computer starts up, but the mouse isn't recognized (and doesn't light up) for no readily apparent reason. Un-plugging it and re-plugging it into the keyboard almost always fixes it, though occasionally it'll take two or three tries.

This shouldn't be happening to Apple-branded stuff, though. If you're not using a USB hub (which just don't seem to like keyboards), switching USB ports might be one thing to try, and although your RAM seems like an unlikely cause, if it's the only thing you changed, it's another suspect. Have you tried removing the new RAM for a while, and seeing if that fixes it?

On RAM buying: I don't know about Compusa, and I wouldn't buy RAM direct from Apple (way overpriced despite the quality), but I would go for name-brand RAM. Kingston is one big brand, though I usually go with Crucial--their prices aren't much above generic, but they've got a lifetime guarantee and are a well-known manufacturer with a full Apple section at their site.

4. Diabolo thread starter macrumors newbie

arrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

I took out the newer ram...i unhooked the USB hub I had...and i still have the problem!

Could the power supply be dying and not providing enough "juice" to power these ports?

or worst...could it be the mother board dying?

5. Diabolo thread starter macrumors newbie

new mouse seems to have fixed the problem

got a new kenssington wireless studio mouse and it seems to be working fine so far...