Keyboard not functioning, typing numbers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stutz, Dec 15, 2005.

1. stutz macrumors member

I have have one of the new 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBooks with 10.4.2; and just the past few days a weird thing has been croping up.

On occassion my powerbook keyboard stops working essentially. Some of the keys result in zeros being typed and most don't respond at all. The only way to fix it is a reboot using the powerkey. Everything is fine for a while and then once every couple days or so it starts doing it again. I've repaired permissions multiple times, but that's not it.

Does anyone have suggestions other than reformatting my hard drive. This is really strange. Pardon if this problem has been posted before. I couldn't find any threads on it.

Thanks

Stutz

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is it the 17 inch PowerBook? I've seen the same symptoms fixed by running fsck. If that doesn't work I'd also reset the PRAM, reset the PMU, unplug any USB mouse (where applicable) and then physically check to see that the keyboard's cable isn't loose. :)

3. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

Make sure the numlock isnt on and the fn keys aren't reversed.

4. stutz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Mad Jew. I've tried your suggestions and it hasn't happened again...yet, but then again it's only been a day. I have the 15 inch PowerBook by the way. I haven't tried checking the keyboard connection because it's not nearly as simple as it was on the old TiBooks.

Also, Apple, thanks for your suggestion. At first read I thought you were just being snarky; but you're right. Most problems are fixed by the most obvious solutions. The num-lock key would make sense, but that's not it because the only numbers that can be typed are O's and 1's on weird keys not on the num lock keypad.

The remapping of the function keys could possibly be a reason except that everything is set to default functions...except I just thought of a possible explanation. I have a couple games that I have remapped the function keys within the game including the F6 key; but that shouldn't affect the OS when the OS is the only thing running.

I'll post again if this thing rears its ugly head.

Thanks

Stutz

5. kvforum macrumors newbie