Keyboard repetition speed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Agurri, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

Hello,

Recently, my mac has been acting strangly. In my keyboard preference I have set the speed of repetition is set to FAST but, when I type, it's the same speed as SLOW.... I don't know what to do ... I tried rebooting with either option with no results ...

Any helps ?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hmm... What sort of Mac do you have and what OS is it running? What third party apps and system changers do you have running/installed? Is it an Apple keyboard or a third party keyboard? :)

3. Agurri thread starter macrumors 6502

Agurri

i have a CD Macbook with 2gb of ram
    running 10.4.8 perfectly
    I have the default macbook keyboard(duhh) and I have a apple wired keyboard.
    Onyx is installed, but I haven't touch it in a while. I was working before the problem would happen.

I don,t know what happened ... and I don't like that 'cuz when I press the backspace button .. it's darn slow to erase all :p

4. Agurri thread starter macrumors 6502

Agurri

Wellll, that didn't help ... it's irritating because it is slow to erase , and I don't like that ....

5. Agurri thread starter macrumors 6502

Agurri

Ok, I created another account to test out if it was related to my account ... and it was. On the temp account, everything was working perfectly ... so my question now is ... is there a way to "repair" a account or session ... or juste put every preference to their default setting ??

6. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Try repairing permissions and then resetting the repeat rate again.

Edit: You do this through the disk utility program which is at <your hard drive>/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.
    Select your main hard drive on the left (I guess it's usually the first item), select the "First Aid" tab, and then click the "Repair Disk Permissions" button.

7. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

It looks like the keyboard prefs are stored in:
    [your HD]/Users/[your account folder]/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist
    It looks like other stuff is in there as well, though.
    Modify, move or delete this at your own risk! :)

8. Agurri thread starter macrumors 6502

Agurri

i tried repair permission without any results.... For the other suggestion, I don't know what would happen if I would delete it .... I mean .... would it re-create itself.

What if I would tae that same keyboardpreference fm the temp account I created, which is correct, and overwrite mine .... what do you think ...?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That should be fine but I don't think it'll help. Feel free to give it a go though. If you're really worried then drag the current one to the Desktop, put the new one in from your other account and keep the old/original one. If it doesn't help but breaks something, then you can replace the new one with the old one. Only make changes to the Preferences folder when System Preferences is closed though. :)