Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alx717

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2017
I recently got the new touch bar 13" MacBook Pro, and within a couple of weeks I started noticing that the "C" key was having response issues. Sometimes it would work fine, but most of the time, hitting this key wouldn't register unless I tapped it much more forcefully than other keys.

I finally got tired of dealing with this, so I took it in for a genius bar appointment last night and walked out with an entirely different machine (apparently they didn't have the ability to do the repair in store yet, so it was easier for them to just exchange it). On this brand new machine, I'm noticing that the "X" key is now having issues. Frequently whenever I hit this key I end up with two "Xs" being typed.

Interestingly, I overheard another guy at the Apple store last night who was having a very similar problem -- whenever he typed the spacebar he would end up with two spaces.

Has anyone else noticed similar issues?

rasputin1969

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
Has anyone else noticed similar issues?

This is a known problem with the thinner butterfly type keyboards. I returned my 15 inch because the space bar failed to register every other time. I believe the travel distance is so thin any grit at all will get in there and cause problems. I've heard that a blast from a compressed air can may do the trick. Or you could turn you home into a clean room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.