Keyboard Short Cuts?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Atlasland, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Atlasland macrumors 6502

Looking for a couple of keyboard shortcuts...

1. Is there a keyboard shortcut that allows me to close all Finder windows?

It's just that after moving files around, I may have 4 or 5 Finder windows open. As you can't quit the Finder, I can't use Apple-Q. So I have to close each manually, which is a hassle.

2. Is there a general "Close Window" shortcut?

I know Apple-Q closes all windows of an Application, and closes the Application itself. But if I just want to close the current window (like a Firefox window), what's the general keyboard shortcut?

2. reh macrumors 6502a

Command-W closes a window.

Command key = Apple key

3. Palli macrumors newbie

Yes, command-w also closes tabs in Safari, for example. Probably in Firefox too!

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Re: 10.5

Close Window is Command-W, you'll find it listed under "File" in any application.

As for a close all windows in the Finder, use command-option-W. There is a list of keyboard shortcuts posted as a support article, just navigate to the finder, hit Help in the menu bar, type in Keyboard shortcuts and at the bottom of the list is a support article called Mac OSX keyboard shortcuts - lots of stuff in there.

5. Atlasland thread starter macrumors 6502

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

To find a key-command just pull down a menu in a program and see the command on the right side of the menu. Pretty simple.

7. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Actually, if you look at Apple's official widget page, there is a cool widget that shows you all the keyboard shortcuts. This is great because they are on ur dashboard when you forget or need them.

8. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1