Keyboard shortcut for delete doesn't work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pbryanw, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Pbryanw macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm a Mac Newbie having recently purchased a Mac Mini. So far I'm loving it - it's such a simple, easy to use OS.

Anyway the problem I'm having is that when I try to delete an item using the keyboard shortcut "command+delete" nothing happens. the same if I try to empty the trashcan using "command+shift+delete".

I'm using an Apple keyboard, so what am I doing wrong :confused:

Thanks for answering my question. I'm sure it will be the first of many as I explore this new Operating System.

Paul

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Are you using the correct delete? There are two of them. Its the one called 'backspace' on windows keyboards. Its right under F11 and F12.

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The order of shift and command shouldn't matter. Delete does have to be last though.

5. Pbryanw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that worked :) I guess I'm showing my Windows background. Kept on pressing command and the "other delete" and nothing happened. Thanks for taking the time to answer a Mac newbie.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Glad I could help. I wonder what that "other delete" key is called anyway?

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

8. mhartl macrumors newbie

Solution on OS X Mavericks

This is an old thread, but it still appears near the top of relevant searches for the problem, so I'm posting my result here.

tl;dr: If ⌘-delete doesn't work, try ⌘-⌥-delete (command-option-delete) instead.

I had this problem on a new iMac with a standard Apple keyboard running the latest version of OS X (Mavericks 10.9.3 as of this writing). This was driving me crazy because I use ⌘-delete frequently, and I often switch between the iMac and my MacBook Air (running the same version of OS X) on which ⌘-delete works fine. I just discovered by chance and desperation that, for some reason, ⌘-⌥-delete (command-option-delete) does work. It's not as good as having the same keystrokes work on both machines, but at least now there's some keyboard shortcut I can use on the iMac.