Keyboard shortcut to application

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by n8236, Sep 28, 2006.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2006
    I just installed Path Finder and would like to have it opened on-the-fly by pressing Apple-E (same as XP, Windows-E). I tried adding that shortcut key in Preference ~> Keyboard and set it there, but no go. Any help is appreciated :)
  2. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I wouldn't recommend that key combination since it can be used as a normal shortcut within applications. Personally, I tend to favour launching applications through Quicksilver. Quicksilver can do a lot of stuff but it's great as an application launcher that is very fast. Basically, you use a keyboard combo to invoke Quicksilver (e.g. Cmd+Shift+Space) and then type a few letters of the name of the file or application you wish to work with. Since the application learns you can train it to open PathFinder by invoking Quicksilver and simply pressing P and hitting Enter. Works well for a lot of things.
  3. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    I also use Quicksilver. You can customize "triggers" to launch applications. I have Safari set for F1, Mail for F2, iTunes for F3, iCal for F4, and Adium for F5. I have F6 for iTunes previous track, F7 for play/pause, and F8 for next iTunes track.

F9-12 are expose/dashboard. On a laptop, you would need to press fn+[F#] for these to launch.

Probably a little more than you needed/wanted to know, but useful nonetheless.