keyboard shortcut to eject secondary optical

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jelloshotsrule, Dec 29, 2006.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i have an original powermac g5. i installed a new drive and put the original drive into a firewire case. for whatever reason, the manual eject button on the face of the original drive (now in the case) is not there. i can use a paper clip or something to open it, but isn't there a keyboard shortcut to eject the tray for a secondary drive when connected by firewire? or is that only for computers with 2 internal optical drives?

a google search didn't seem to clarify. thanks in advance

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

3. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If the keyboard won't do it to it, wander over to /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Eject.menu and double-click it to add it to the menu bar.

5. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hmm, nope, that only lets me eject the main drive too. poop

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I would've thought OPTION-EJECT would work. Are you sure the thing's being recognised? :)

7. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yup. i can make it eject from toast, and i've been able to read a disc from it.

8. deebster macrumors 6502

Ardiem will give you a Menubar eject method, but you could also use a small AppleScript, linked to a hotkey combo using Butler or Quicksilver.

9. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If it's not showing up in the menu extra, then Os X is apparently confused about what kind of drive it is (that is, not quite understanding that it's an optical).

Mr. Hotsrule, have you given patchburn a shot? If it's a strange-ish drive and not a strange-ish bridge board in the enclosure, that might be enough to give the OS a bit of clue.

11. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

12. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

just looked into patchburn... obviously my drive itself is supported, but would it potentially be of any use trying to see if maybe the bridge or whatever could be patched to work? ehh, may as well give it a shot i guess

edit: i tried it... i don't think it'll do the trick. itunes recognizes both drives already. it's just an inconvenience, but there should be a way to do eject the tray without opening toast or itunes. oh well

13. deebster macrumors 6502

14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Meh, those enclosures ought to work okay.

The only other thought that comes to mind is that there are Macally enclosures still shipping from dealers with rather old firmware. They have an updater on their support page.

15. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ardiem works! and it let me set a key for it, so i just made a function key do it... thanks for the tip!

i didn't see a mac driver update for the enclosure i have phc500 on that page, so i guess that's not an option.

anyways, thanks again for the suggestions and the ardiem tip!

16. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's there… they call it a "10.3.9 update" for some reason, even though it's firmware.