keyboard shortcuts question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sinoslav, Sep 23, 2006.

1. sinoslav macrumors newbie

I'm totally new to Mac (longtime Windows user) and I have a question about keyboard shortcuts in Mac OS X. Under Windows, I could access any menu item via the Alt key plus a series of letters corresponding to the menu selections. For example, I use Thunderbird for email, and the menu choice to see only unread messages is

View | Threads | Unread

I could access this option in Windows with the keyboard combination

Alt-V (for View), then E (for Thr*e*ads), then U (for Unread).

I can't figure out any corresponding way under OS X to get to this menu option via keystrokes. Is there a general mechanism for keystroke combinations to get menu options under OS X?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yes it is very easy. Get used to using the Command key (the Apple key next to the spacebar). You use this key and voila. Key commands on a Mac!

Attached Files:

3. sinoslav thread starter macrumors newbie

No, this is not the same. Using the Command key alone, I can only access menu commands that have an associated Command-key combination built in. The correct answer is from http://www.xvsxp.com/misc/keyboard.php, I will quote:

To navigate menus with the keyboard:

* Type Control-F2 to activate the front-most application's menu
    * Navigate with the arrow keys to select a menu, or type the first letter(s) of the menu's name
    * Hit the down arrow key to reveal the selected menu
    * Use the arrow keys to select a menu item, or type the first letter(s) of the menu item's name
    * Hit Return

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Damn sinoslav, that is dropping some knowledge. I've used Macs for years and never knew that stuff. Good call.