Keyboard skins. Has anyone tried these?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by anubis, Feb 14, 2005.

1. anubis macrumors 6502a

I was wondering if anyone has tried any of these keyboard skins:

http://thinkdifferentstore.com/index.php?cPath=104

I was browsing the store and noticed these skins, and thought they might be a good idea. (I've had a couple of close calls with food and drink spilling into my keyboard). I like eating and drinking at my desk so "just dont drink and eat at your desk anubis!!!!111 LOLOL" isn't a constructive reply.

I'm affraid it may slow down my typing or give the keyboard an overly spongy key response or give a strange texture or tactile sensation. Has anyone tried these? Thoughts?

Thanks

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

A local buddy has one of the iSkin protectors and finds that it's difficult to use the keyboard with it, especially since it has the outline of a different (reverse L) enter key.

He got so tired of it that he just goes without it.

I suppose that should be considered dangerous as it's unprotected computing. :p

3. sirius1722 macrumors member

I have an iSkin cover for my Powerbook, and I will admit that was a little weird to type on to begin with, you get used to it, especially if you're a typer. You still get the tactile feedback of the keyboard, but with a little muffled sound (great for typing during lectures).

I recommend it

4. California macrumors 68040

California

I had a skin for my imac and now have a keyboard only skin on the powerbook. You get used to it. I have thought to upgrade to the big skin for the entire Powerbook topcase, because liquid can get in the speakers, etc., but haven't gotten around to it. The beauty is that your keyboard stays brand spankin' new and no worries about gunk under there. I love it.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have the ones from Lajo, and I just got my second one, cuz I wanted a different color. It does make fast typing somewhat more difficult. So it's a mixed bag. I also noticed that color makes a lot of difference, especially if you ever type in a dim room. The newest one is pink, and I can see the characters through it much better than the previous one, which was a darker blue shade. So the lighter shades might be somewhat more usable.

If you have the issue Bousozoku described, then I wouldn't use them either, though.

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

What's the point of covering your fine china in cellophane? :p

Just don't eat over your notebook and you'll be fine.

I usually eat around my desktop, but damn, they are virtually impossible to clean. For a normal keyboard I would recommend it, those Apple keyboards look NASTY if you're not careful, so much visible gunk.

7. anubis thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I intend to buy one for: Apple Wireless Keyboard (desktop). It's a shiny beautiful white, which unfortunately makes dirt and black cat hair show up all too painfully underneith the keys, visible through the clear plastic housing.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, I guess I might feel differently about this if I had a metal powerbook, but I think my iBook looks *cuter* with the keyboard cover. :D

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Good point. ;)