Keyboard Stroke Tracking Software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by redAPPLE, Jan 5, 2005.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

hi,

first of all, i do not know, if the title is even correct, so sorry.

is there a program that would record keystrokes?

i would like to say, i am not planning anything illegal. i do not want to go into details, but my company wants to crack down on employees doing other things except "working for us".

maybe you guys can help. thanks in advance.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm sure such programs exist, but I don't know of any.

It's truly unfortunate that your company can't base it's opinion of its employees on the work they do as opposed to ways they might be wasting company time.

Since it's trivial to track web access and email, I fail to see what keystroke monitoring would serve aside from further invading their privacy.

3. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

well, my job is to find the software that does this for mac os x. i, too, am against this exact company policy. but, you know, he who pays should not be questioned (especially if you need the money).

i do not know all the details, but this software would not be used on all employees. a lot of our macs are stand alone, so no web access or email.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I wasn't blaming you! :) I just think it sucks as a company policy, and it's incomplete - key tracking won't tell you what the mouse has been up to, for example.

5. Mantat macrumors 6502a

They did a similar thing to a friend, she was working over 60h/week while getting paid only for 40h and they dared to blame her to visit a travel site out of normal business hours. She was so frustrated that she dumped the job right there and went straight to the competitor.

Just to put some points: using such a software without the employe knowledge is totaly illegal and the employe could sue the company and would most probably win. And the more personal the thing the person is doing, the more it would cost to the company.
    b
    I think that you should simply say to your boss that he should talk to the worker over this. If they think that he is stealing company data, they should hire private investigator. Trying to do self justice is illegal and totaly undefendable in court. It could even backfire on them if the employe know about this trick.

6. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Its called a keylogger. And if you google 'keylogger for mac os x' , you would get a lot of results.

cheers

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

Hate to have any personal freedoms at work...

Anyway, wouldn't it be easier to simply limit their access to applications that are not work related? If they don't have e-mail or web access, about the only thing they could be doing is working on their resume, which sounds like a good idea. In OS X you can restrict the applications that people can use, and by doing so make sure they only use applications required for their jobs.

I did see an application called KeyLogger X that may be what you're looking for, but like any of these that I've seen, it runs as an application, so is fairly easy to defeat.

8. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i fully agree with you guys about the issues (mainly privacy issues). it has been indicated, that a certain user programs something else, instead of programming for our needs.

and if this prooves to be true, the user needs to meet the consequences. this has nothing to do with controlling all employees.

this would also be handled within a certain space.

btw, thanks for all the help for now.

9. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Still highly illegal without his/her knowledge.
    Just let them all sign an agreement that their computer time will be monitored then he'll stop IF he was doing something else...