Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
As a keyboard teacher I can say with honesty that there isn't a substitute to going out and getting teacher!

Certainly I wouldn't learn by computer software - if you really want to learn remotely, your best bet is to pop down to a local music shop and buy a couple of pre- grade one tuition manuals, sit down at your keyboard and invest an hour a day of practice.

Software and these books are of limited value however because everybody develops their own problems and strengths throughout the process, and you really need a teacher to monitor your progress if you're talking about learning properly. Things like controlling hand position, posture, rhythm, sight reading and theory are best understood when there is someone there to help you out! PM me if you want to chat about it.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
As a student of the piano, I agree.

Avoid teaching software like the plague, it'll do more harm than good in the long run...

zarusoba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Australia
Aha!

Thanks for your advice. I suspected as much!

Do you think a group beginners course would be valuable, or is it best just to go straight for 1 to 1 lessons?

sangamc

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2006
ive been trying to teach myself for 6 years now with books and software. i took one lesson from a friend who doesnt even play piano as his #1 instrument, and 3 years of progress was squeezed out of two lessons.

its the only way to go

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.