Keyboard touching the glass?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Unprocessed1, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I've noticed an imprint of the keyboard on my screen, so I'm guessing that the keyboard touches the screen when closed. Is this normal to see?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What MBA is it? I remember this being an issue with the older MBAs but have not heard that the new ones suffer from this

3. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

It's a new MBA 13.3"

4. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Mine does this too but I use a moshi clear guard keyboard cover. I thought it could be due to this small (<1mm) cover but now think that the screen flexes a bit while sandwiched in my messenger bag and would happen regardless of my cover. I can see the faint imprint and hope it won't cause permanent etching of the screen.

5. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

If this isn't normal, what should/would an Apple store do if I bring it to the genius bar?

6. phil123 macrumors member

phil123

I have a new MBA 13" and have noticed exactly the same thing. I believe it to be due to the screen flexing inside my very cramped backpack.

Anyone know of a good, soft insert that can be placed between the screen and keyboard to protect against this?

7. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I've seen this on "a lot" of notebooks... Not just Apple notebooks. My recommendation is to protect your notebook screen and use something like ShaggyMac Laptop Screen Protector

I use something similar on my notebooks.

8. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Radtech screensavrz. Got mine about 3 weeks ago...just a piece of cloth but it's good quality and very handy. I don't like seeing oil spots on the keyboard or smudges on the screen so it's awesome for me.

Bought mine off amazon.

9. jrabbit macrumors member

Similar to another suggestion, any decent microfiber cloth should do. The one that came with the air has a thick band around the edge, but many that come with eyeglasses or sunglasses are thin and don't have the edging band. Some are a bit too small, but some are just about the right size...

10. abuleban macrumors member

could you

share the link for it? the options on amazon are a bit confusing!

thxs!:cool:

11. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Link for canada

Link for US

Just look through the lists depending on whether you have a 11 or 13 and pick the colour you want. The ones for the 13" MB do fit onto the 13" MBA so keep that in mind if you want a colour that isn't listed for the MBA (I know they fit from personal experience...I bought a black one for the 13" MB and it fits the Air perfectly).

12. sunrisemusic macrumors member

I just use a piece of thick paper (or very thin cardboard). Works fine and is a lot cheaper!

13. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I just got my RadTech Screensavr, and I really like the texture. But, with the Moshi ClearGuard, the lid does not close 100%. The MBA 11" still stays closed, and it will be carried around in a sleeve/case, but I can't help but notice the tiny gap. Anyone else have this experience?

14. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

i installed a Boxwave crystal screen film to stop this.

used to use a microfiber keyboard cover from iKlear, but i'd always forget to throw it in there before leaving the house... so i went for a more passive solution.

15. Herrow macrumors regular

+1 ShaggyMac screen protector and a bottle of OptiMist Prime :D