keyboard + water == :(

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ctachme, Jan 24, 2004.

1. ctachme macrumors member

ctachme

I spilled some water on my keyboard, and now none of the keys in the lower-left region of the keyboard will work (lshift-c and control-lcommand). This is especially annoying because my keyboard (that old reduced-size iMac one) only has one option and one control key.

So, I need a new keyboard. I've never needed to get a keyboard before, so frankly, I'm clueless on the issue. Wired is fine, and the only other requirement would be durability.

Thanks a ton.

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    u could stick with the apple pro keyboard

you could get a skin for it, saves you from all kinds of spills

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Wired Apple Keyboards are $49...

Some people do use the PC keyboards and 3rd party Apple Keyboard, don't know the price through.

Most likely the keyboard will be fine in a week or two once it dries out, unless you spilled a sugar drink on it.

You can alway take it apart and clean it out (hint: screw hidden under sticker).

4. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

have you tried setting it upsides down over a towel let it dry out and let gravity work then try it again if it still doesn't work you could try to use some compressed air to force the water out

5. ctachme thread starter macrumors member

ctachme

Yeah, I've already tried flipping it upside down and draining everything out of it. It has been like two weeks, and it still has problems. So I assume that it has corroded something which I assume is not fixable.

Are the present Apple Keyboards of decent quality? I don't want to spend $50 on a keyboard if it's not going to last for a while.

6. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I like Apple keyboard, but I don't think they are worth the price. If I were you, I'd just go to the local computer store and look at the usb keyboards they have, see what looks and feels good.

7. iGav macrumors G3

I wash mine Apple Pro Keyboard once a year, and when I say wash I mean I submerge it in the tub, and shake it around underwater for about 15 minutes to makesure it's really clean, then towel dry as best as I can, then I put a towel on top of a radiator, and tilt the keyboard to a 45º angle and leanit against the wall, it's useable in 3-4 days and totally clean inside.... ;)

Never had a problem yet, and it's over 3 years old... :D

8. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I have spilled water on my pro keyboard several times. I just stop typing and unplug it and lay it upside down or sit it in front of a vent. My keyboard still works fine.

9. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I have a buddy at the University of Washington who while moving some boxes, accidently bumped into a large 711 sized cup of water that was sitting next to his open powered on Wallstreet powerbook. He dropped the box and unplugged the book but alas, his computer was dead. Sounds like sage advice that water and keyboards in general do not friends make.

10. Chris Wardzala macrumors newbie

The same thing happened to me. Wait a few days, and then try again. After a period of 4 days, my keyboard was fine, after 1/2 was not responding.

11. ctachme thread starter macrumors member

ctachme

I think that I will go ahead and get a new keyboard, even if this one will eventually function (though I am starting to doubt that). Besides, I am getting tired of having a reduced size keyboard and would like to have a the full complimentary of keys. Thanks for all of your input.

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

if( keyboard + water == :( )
    {
    new keyboard = logitech elite keyboard;
    }

// I really like mine. There is a wireless, and a wired version.

// scem0

13. encro macrumors 6502

encro

If it was only water then it should come back to life eventually. Just leave it somewhere warm and after a few weeks it should be fine.

14. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

16. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

UW guy huh...wonder if I know him...

17. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Re: keyboard + water == :(

http://www.macally.com/new/new_rfkey.html

18. arn macrumors god