Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
I was wondering if there was a way to get the Keychain Access to memorize the Network properties. I don't know how to add a second Network-WEP passwords. Anyone want to help me?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Philberttheduck said:
I was wondering if there was a way to get the Keychain Access to memorize the Network properties. I don't know how to add a second Network-WEP passwords. Anyone want to help me?

Are you trying to add a second WEP password to an existing network, or add a second network location complete with new WEP password? The process is different for the two cases.

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
I need to set up my mom's macbook to her office's network. I know all the information (Network ID/WEP Password) but I don't really have the time to go to her office and set it up. Is there a way to add the information to Keychain Access without being in contact with it? Obviously, she'll be within the WiFi when she's at her office.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Philberttheduck said:
I need to set up my mom's macbook to her office's network. I know all the information (Network ID/WEP Password) but I don't really have the time to go to her office and set it up. Is there a way to add the information to Keychain Access without being in contact with it? Obviously, she'll be within the WiFi when she's at her office.

Under network preferences -> location -> new location

Create a new 'location' for her, like 'work wireless'. You can then then configure all of the TCP/IP stuff at that point. Once this is done, apply the settings, but don't close sys prefs.

Under the apple menu (top left), scroll down to locations ->work wireless. this will make sure that all of the keychain changes get applied to this network location.

Under the airport menu (tool bar) choose 'other', and you can name the network (ssid) and enter a password.

Now, go back to sys prefs, with your 'work wireless' location selected, and go to 'airport'. Choose 'join preferred networks', and you should be able to pick 'work wireless' from the list. Apply changes.

OK, now you're all set. All your mom needs to do when she goes to work is choose 'work wireless' as her location in the apple menu, and the proper network settings will be applied. This is how I manage all of my settings (I use 5 regularly) and makes things much easier.

I hope this is clear enough to understand, please let me know if you need clarification.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.